cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I do the impossible?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Contributor

Did I do the impossible?

So I've had a capital one card for a few years. I got it as a standard platinum on credit steps at a $300 limit back in 2015 so it was assumed bucketed. It got a few increases up to $2750 where it stayed for a while. Recently I got 2 different product changes on the card within the last year once to a Quicksilver and another time to a Venture One. At the same time I got the limit increased up to $6250. Now mind you the entire time it was still a platinum mastercard. That's where this gets interesting. I just got an email from Capital One that they are upgrading my card from a Platinum Mastercard to a World Mastercard. Does this mean my card is not bucketed anymore???

10/01/18

12/07/17

VentureOne - $6250
QuicksilverOne - $500
Citi Best Buy - $2000
Discover It - $1500
Self Lender Account - Paid in Full
American Express BCE - $1000
American Express PRG
American Express SPG - $1000
Toyota Financial 50% Paid
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Regular Contributor

Re: Did I do the impossible?

i'm amazed that you ever even got it to $2750. how did you do that and how long did that take you? it didn't report as a new card when you switched products every time either? i'd say you aren't bucketed anymore, or they just stuck you into a bigger bucket!

Message 2 of 10
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Product changing, or even changing to a different tier of MC, doesn’t necessarily mean you’re not bucketed. However, the fact that you’ve grown the card so well DOES imply that you’re not stuck in the little starter buckets. Congrats! Ya done good lol
Discover It: 19.7k
Amex BCE: 18k
Citi DC: 5.7k
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once you go Berner, you never go back.
Message 3 of 10
Contributor

It took me about 4 years to grow it where it is now. There was a 2 year drought of credit line increases. But within the last year I've gotten 2 CLIs with the most recent one being a $3k CLI.

10/01/18

12/07/17

VentureOne - $6250
QuicksilverOne - $500
Citi Best Buy - $2000
Discover It - $1500
Self Lender Account - Paid in Full
American Express BCE - $1000
American Express PRG
American Express SPG - $1000
Toyota Financial 50% Paid
Message 4 of 10
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Going from Plat MC to World MC just means you can now use it wherever the planet may take youSmiley Wink
#ChaseCreditCardHobby Enthusiast
!
Message 5 of 10
Super Contributor

Yep it took me 4 years to go from $300 to $8250 on mine.

I am still on a Platinum though. Doesn’t really make a difference to me in the end. Maybe if they open up Savor PCs I’ll get a WEMC when that happens.

Congrats on having the unicorn though, not many of us $300 cards growing so much around here. Smiley Wink

01/2019:
12/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Cash+, Freedom.
Message 6 of 10
Established Contributor

Congrats on the progress!!! I am trying to stay in the garden, but it seems Capital One is treating their customers right!!!  Smiley Happy

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 10
Established Contributor

@jgdev wrote:

So I've had a capital one card for a few years. I got it as a standard platinum on credit steps at a $300 limit back in 2015 so it was assumed bucketed. It got a few increases up to $2750 where it stayed for a while. Recently I got 2 different product changes on the card within the last year once to a Quicksilver and another time to a Venture One. At the same time I got the limit increased up to $6250. Now mind you the entire time it was still a platinum mastercard. That's where this gets interesting. I just got an email from Capital One that they are upgrading my card from a Platinum Mastercard to a World Mastercard. Does this mean my card is not bucketed anymore???

How much spend did you put on it to get it to those limits, compared to your other cards? I'm assuming you used it a lot.

November 2019:

Stats:
Message 8 of 10
Established Contributor

Sounds like you either somehow got out of the original bucket, got into a larger bucket, or somewhere in there the system did not bother putting you in a bucket at all. If you spend a small fortune I am sure Capitol One will give you a lot more credit than you think you can handle. If they swapped out the platinum for a World then that means they are willing to uncap your upper limit and offer the World level benefits. That is quite the achievement if done organically.

TU:795 10/08/18 Synchrony--EX: 758 10/26/18 Discover--EQ:810 09/25/18 Citi--Gardening since 10/15/18
Active:
Bank of America (Bankamericard M, Better Balance Rewards M, Cash Rewards VS), Blispay V, Capital One Quicksilver VSC, Chase(AARP VSC, Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom VSC), Citi Dividend M, Citizens GreenSense M, Discover It, FedEx Employee Credit Association V(Pending Close?), FNBO Ducks Unlimited VS, PenFed Platinum Rewards VSC, Synchrony Bank(PayPal Credit, PayPal 2% Cashback M, Walmart M), US Bank Cash+ VS
Wishlist: Barclaycard Uber, Bellco Colorado Rewards, EBates, Marvel, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, UMB Bank Simply Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards, Wells Fargo Propel
Message 9 of 10
Frequent Contributor

"The bucket" is softer and more fragile than people often think. It's not as hard to break out of it as a lot of people make it seem. Kudos OP! Not a lot of people can get their Platinum $300 card all the way up to a World MC, so you should feel proud!

Total CL: $21,100
Fico 8 Scores:
12/2018:
03/2019:
06/2019:
09/2019:
Goals:   550 by 12/2018 600 by 3/2019   650 by 6/2019   700 by 1/2020   750 by 1/2021 800+ by 1/2022
7 derog. (all settled 1/2019)     |     Inquiries: 1, 4, 5     |     AoOA: 10.2yr     |     AAoA: 5.4yr     |     AoYA: 0.6yr
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.