cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I hear someone say Barclays sucks...?

tag
NichelleN
Established Contributor

Re: Did I hear someone say Barclays sucks...?

I just couldn't get worked up over Barclay's anymore. After getting that initial $250 limit I called to discuss it with an analyst. I still remember the conversation. He said he'd see if he could increase it. We had a pleasant conversation. He said my profile looked great....except for the inquiries. I don't recall how many I had then. He congratulated me on my payment history, etc. I only wish I hadn't responded to the pre-approval letter for the Rewards card and just ignored it. I'd read enough of others' experiences here to know better.

They did eventually lower the rate and offered 0% financing. But the card just didn't rank as high as others for me. There are a lot more lenders out there.

More than enough credit.
Message 21 of 48
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@NichelleN wrote:

I just couldn't get worked up over Barclay's anymore. After getting that initial $250 limit I called to discuss it with an analyst. I still remember the conversation. He said he'd see if he could increase it. We had a pleasant conversation. He said my profile looked great....except for the inquiries. I don't recall how many I had then. He congratulated me on my payment history, etc. I only wish I hadn't responded to the pre-approval letter for the Rewards card and just ignored it. I'd read enough of others' experiences here to know better.

They did eventually lower the rate and offered 0% financing. But the card just didn't rank as high as others for me. There are a lot more lenders out there.

They are so lame.

That's EXACTLY word for word what they said to me when I called after (1) year trying to get a CLI. "Uh I see you have very good payment history with us and usage is STRONG" etc. "but you opened up new card X and new card Y months ago, what was the reason why you been opening new accounts this year?"

Bahhhh, why do you think silly, some people use their head for more than a hat rack.

Bite me, I closed out my only card with them, the RING, stuck at $5K, and soon afterwards reeled in over $60K of new credit between CLI's AND new card accounts who don't whimper and whine over the small stuff.

So happy they are finally off my reports.

They were such a drag to get any positive movement from that bunch. That's been my experience after a (2) year try.

Message 22 of 48
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I am not sure if these CLDs are not automated and happen without actually someone reviewing... why?  I saw that a customer got a CLD on 1 account and at the same time a CLI on another. This made me think that it could have a formula behind and an automatic trigger ??   Anyway try to call on Monday and see if they can reinstate otherwise simply keep using the card and soon there might come the CLI.  Certainly do not take it personal ..move on ..after all it is only 500$ CLD and who knows you might get a much higher CLI soon after.  With Barclays we do not know exactly what triggers these CLDs as I had quite a few (5) new accounts in 4 months when they approved my first card. I did not know at that time that they were new account and inquiry sensitive otherwise I would not have applied.

Message 23 of 48
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

My DW has a Rewards card. She has had the card for over a year.

She uses the card a lot and its usually PIF or pretty close to it.

Her initial CL was $1,200. She reseived 2 auto CLI at 6 months.

Her current limit is $4,600.

She hasn't opened a new accoiunt in over a year.

They like her BUT they would hate me.

Message 24 of 48
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Nah Steelers1 , they probably just aren't Steeler fans Smiley Wink
Message 25 of 48
NRB525
Super Contributor

@steelers1 wrote:

Congratulations on DW success, there are lots of stories from others who align with this. Stay true to Barclays and get a CLI.

There are also a lot of stories that align with the OP situation. I went through many CLD after the credit bubble, but I must admit, going from $1k to $0.5k on a CLD takes the prize as the most petty CLD.

Barclays is like the toxic spouse who does not want you to leave the house without an ankle bracelet. I'm not having any of it.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 26 of 48
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Now I see what you mean by your comment FLTireguy, it does suck. But there must have been something that scared them. The argument of new accounts and inquiries is hard to believe from my point of view. In seven months of having my Barclay rewards card I have received an APR reduction, opened a CSP, Amex bcp, boa bbr card with inquires and have had a two other deniers from discover. I do use my card on a regular bases for Lyft and all my utilizes and received a CLI this morning.

Was there a change in your reports? Maybe something you're not aware of yet. How much did you use the card in the last six months?

NOthing but positive changes, as far as my reports. AND more than a few new accounts. (AMEX, BofA, NFCU) Scores up 50-65 points across all 3 bureaus. Baddies gone, old BK gone... I have used it a little - avg spend was around $200 per onth, and PIF every month.  Although now it will see absolutely NO usage until the CL is restored to at least the SL.

You say "nothing but positive changes" ... but it is well known that Barclays does not like new accounts.  Each creditor has their own algorithm for risky/nonrisky customers.  So despite all the other positives, Barclays puts more weight on the new accounts, which lead to the CLD.

Message 27 of 48
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@steelers1 wrote:

Congratulations on DW success, there are lots of stories from others who align with this. Stay true to Barclays and get a CLI.

There are also a lot of stories that align with the OP situation. I went through many CLD after the credit bubble, but I must admit, going from $1k to $0.5k on a CLD takes the prize as the most petty CLD.

Barclays is like the toxic spouse who does not want you to leave the house without an ankle bracelet. I'm not having any of it.

......and no doubt to why OP summed up their Topic Title with "sucks....?"

Barclays takes a healthy portion of heat compared to other lenders but they actually bring a lot of that on themselves IMO.

I've always viewed that as a critical weakness and lack of confidence in them and nothing has changed with them from that respect.

Message 28 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ OP ....... how many new accounts have you opened in the last 6 months?

My 6 months is approaching, although I had planned to close at 1 year mark, I certainly don't want any AA beforehand. 

Message 29 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Somehow, I don't think that Barclays and I would get along at all

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.