Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I over react ?

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Did I over react ?

I'll be in the minority here, but I would say that Yes, you overreacted.    Based on other comments it seems that you have a history of back & forth with AMEX due in some part to patterns of opening/closing/app'ing excessively.    If you are going to continually do this, then you should expect nothing less than continued scrutiny.

Credit is not a right, it is a business relationship between you and your creditors.   They have various guidelines, procedures, and approaches to managing the risk of their unsecured CC portfolio,.   There are some things that AMEX just doesn't like, things that seem to trigger a FR, like repeatedly using the "check your spending limit" button.

Look at it this way ~ at least AMEX offers you the chance to keep your accounts open.  If you were flagged by most any other creditor your accounts would just be shut down, end of story, no chance to discuss it or send info to prove your income, etc....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 11 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

I'll be in the minority here, but I would say that Yes, you overreacted.    Based on other comments it seems that you have a history of back & forth with AMEX due in some part to patterns of opening/closing/app'ing excessively.    If you are going to continually do this, then you should expect nothing less than continued scrutiny.

Credit is not a right, it is a business relationship between you and your creditors.   They have various guidelines, procedures, and approaches to managing the risk of their unsecured CC portfolio,.   There are some things that AMEX just doesn't like, things that seem to trigger a FR, like repeatedly using the "check your spending limit" button.

Look at it this way ~ at least AMEX offers you the chance to keep your accounts open.  If you were flagged by most any other creditor your accounts would just be shut down, end of story, no chance to discuss it or send info to prove your income, etc....

+1

Concord you know you are just going to wait 6-12 months and decide that you really want more Amex Cards and start applying all over again! Doing it FR way no more inq!!

Message 12 of 23
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I think you did.  I know it's a little crazy that you have had it 3 times but at the same time it never really has been a bad thing once you submitted, they didn't close anything and they gave you HIGH Hard Limits, I mean once you sent 1 form don't they do the rest? it's not really time consuming right? Plus I would think about the rewards way more then the issue of the 3rd FR... If you truley are going to fly JetBlue 15+ times next year that's MAJOR Money in rewards and priority, etc.!!

Here I really have to agree with Creditaddict for the reasons he explained. I should have submitted the T4506 and worst case they would have put hard limits on the accounts. If I was going to close the accounts and not use them what do I got to loose. I guess I did not like the fact they suspend the accounts and ask for the docs and if I do not provide in 5 days they will close the accounts and report as closed by creditor. That tone is more of a threat to me and as a customer I would not want to be treated like that. I would have preferred to have a dialogue that is mutually agreeable and worst case I would have agreed to what ever they want me to provide. I am a customer for 18 years and paid every thing on time and if they want to keep as a customer I would have preferred a dialogue and treat me as a customer than threatning me that If I do not comply in 5 days they will close the accounts. That only hurt my ego and said heck with it and also it is better I close the accounts and have them reported as closed by creditor than the credit grantor. Relationship goes both ways. I am a good customer and they are making money off of me. I would have preferred a softer dialogue in matters like this. But I do have to agree with Creditaddict that I over reacted and made some thing out of nothing. Worst case what do I got to loose. But on the other hand it is my ego that is hurt which plays a key role on people's mind. Keeping that in mind if I ever get an Amex card I'll sock drawer the damn thing and do not fall for this lust. It is just one more card like any other card.

Message 13 of 23
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

Three in three years seems lame to me ..... Did you ever contact themand flat out ask them why they keep FR'ing you ? I would close my accounts too !! Especially if I had multiple year history without any payment issues..? I would call their corporate office and ask them WTH ? Your accounts are clsoed now , so what do you have to lose ? They cant axactly cut you off from a closed account Smiley Wink

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 14 of 23
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Would have done the same thing, and then realized closing the accounts wasn't consistent with my long term goals.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dunno.

Have you determined what it is that is raising a red flag for them?

Message 16 of 23
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe new hard inqs??Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 23
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

What ever the reason might be why they did FR. Creditaddict is right. I over reacted. I have very short temper and I snapped. I should have sent them forms. What do I got to loose? Worst case they would have put the hard limits again on my account. Well it is too late. We can not make Amex change their procedures and I can not ask my self to change my ways. At the end of the day, I have been a good customer to Amex and paid every thing on time and kept up my end of the bargain. Thank you Creditaddict for putting some sense into me. Though it is too late, I have to learn to have more patience. Again I think Amex should make their steps much more in line with reality than using their iron fist. No matter what nothing changes. They are one more credit card company out there and they need gooo customers. I am a good customer paid ontime and kept track record for 18 years with them and I do deserver better treatment than the iron fist.

Message 18 of 23
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Nope, they are just demanding too much and banks will give you a chance to recon any adverse action if things improve. I think you are fretting too much over a card, you made your decision - just live with it and move on. Don't stew and dwell about what should've or could've happened. The accounts are closed, life goes on. Billions of people live without an AmEx, I have a feeling you will survive Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 23
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

No, it was AMEX that was doing way too much. On to something new and better.  Always scary to open a new door.  There are plenty of other cards out there that are trying to compete with or surpass AMEX that would love to sink their teeth into a well paying customer like yourself.

It may not be a right to have their card, but pleasing the customer should still be at the top of their list.  Customers do matter and it does matter how they treat us.  I bet you they didnt get this far by doing customers this way. Yet instill, it could of been their computer that over reacted. LOL

No sense in crying over spilled milk.  Please accept this super absorbent viva paper towel to clean it up and move on. Smiley Wink

@mxp...well said 

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.