cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anyone actually get a Financial Review from Amex for opening too many accounts?

tag
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Re: Did anyone actually get a Financial Review from Amex for opening too many accounts?

I just opened 4 new accounts this past month.... had one already reporting when i was approved for the 2 AMEX cards (not on same day but 5 days apart so 2 seperate HP's). Then i applied for Citi and was approved. Not sure if that could send a bad signal to AMEX. I really wanna apply for the Costco TE 5-6 months from now. I also have the dilema if my WF doesnt graduate this month, would hate to apply for an unsecured one and be hit with another new account. What to do?...

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 11 of 43
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Did anyone actually get a Financial Review from Amex for opening too many accounts?

you can get WF to remove the inquiry. If Amex asks, just tell them you're in the process of having WF remove it. Technically, you're not lying, because you're indeed telling WF to remove it. Whether and when they remove it is another story. But in my experience Wells Fargo is easy to talk to and negotiate with. 

How long is your AAoA? What matters a lot is your AAoA.

If your AAoA is still high or at least moderate after new accounts are added in, you're fine. But if your AAoA was 4years originally, and it drops to <1 year after adding in new accounts, there's most likely going to be a problem with at least 1 of the lenders.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 43
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

well when the BoA account reported early march my AAOA diminished a couple of months on pretty much all 3 CR. AMEX cards will be backdated to 2011 so i dont think that will affect any if not nothing. I still have the Citi Card to report.  My AAoA on EX is 4.0 years, EQ 3.7 yrs and TU 2.2 yrs. I really think my AMEX cards are going to help my TU AAoA.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 13 of 43
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

How many years of tax returns did they ask for? Did they ask for anything else for their financial review?

If it was just a request for tax returns or pay stubs, it would not be a problem. It is that they request authorization to directly contact the IRS to get your records. WHY does a credit company have to involve the IRS? If they do not trust you enough to accept your returns and/or pay stubs, they should just close the accounts.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 14 of 43
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

This is why Im never going to app spree w Amex :-0 Ill just get my little ole BCE to $25k and leave it at that. Thanks for even more morivation to stay in the garden, guys!!!:-D
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

If it was just a request for tax returns or pay stubs, it would not be a problem. It is that they request authorization to directly contact the IRS to get your records. WHY does a credit company have to involve the IRS? If they do not trust you enough to accept your returns and/or pay stubs, they should just close the accounts.

This is because during the credit meltdown of 2008, there were tons of fake tax returns, W2s and bank statements created on photoshop used to secure loans. After this experience, some lenders are adopting to use 4056T, since coming directly from the IRS is the only way to be 100% certain of their authenticity.

Message 16 of 43
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Lil never told us if the forms were submitted or not. Or why the accounts were closed. So before jumping to any conclusions I think we should find out the full story.

Lil - why was the account closed?

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 17 of 43
HiLine
Blogger

Thanks for sharing your experience, LilNYC. Smiley Happy

So we know 1 person who got an FR, and that was because she opened 4 accounts with Amex in 5 months with a 3x CLI in between.

0 case of too many accounts with other lenders. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 43
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience, LilNYC. Smiley Happy

So we know 1 person who got an FR, and that was because she opened 4 accounts with Amex in 5 months with a 3x CLI in between.

0 case of too many accounts with other lenders. Smiley Happy

Or, replacing the red bit, "that happened shortly after".... as we don't know if that was the trigger!

Message 19 of 43
LilNYC
New Contributor

they asked for 1 yr if tax returns- my 2011 returns. but they didn't want me to send them a copy, they wanted me to fill out a form that authorizes the irs to redress my returns to amex.
Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.