Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did i make a mistake? Closed chase Marriott

tag
DU556
Regular Contributor

Did i make a mistake? Closed chase Marriott

Closed it about three weeks ago. Should i have asked for a product change? It had a $13,000 limit but they let me transfer $12000 to Amazon Chase Visa. Amazon chase now has $18,000 limit.
I needed to cut down on the unnecessary fees for a bit. If i apply for it again, how long would i have to wait to get sign up bonus in the future?
What would have been the best option?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Did i make a mistake? Closed chase Marriott

At the moment the wait is two years to get the SUB again. But the way things are going I would not be surprised if the goal posts are moved out to 48 months, in line with Sapphire.

You can call them. I reopened a Hyatt card recently rather than wait longer to app for the bonus. You may be within that 30-day window to reopen the account.

When did you app / get the Marriott SUB? That is the starting point for the 24 months to my understanding.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 7
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

The account is closed so it’s hard to determine what would have been best because you felt closing the card was your best option at that time.

I believe Chase has a 24 month rule on SUBs.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seconded NRB525's comment, you may be able to un-close the account still.
Message 4 of 7
DU556
Regular Contributor

I think it was two years last month. I closed it quickly just to avoid the annual fee. I wish I would have been thinking clearly and consulted with people here.

Message 5 of 7
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@DU556 wrote:
Closed it about three weeks ago. Should i have asked for a product change? It had a $13,000 limit but they let me transfer $12000 to Amazon Chase Visa. Amazon chase now has $18,000 limit.
I needed to cut down on the unnecessary fees for a bit. If i apply for it again, how long would i have to wait to get sign up bonus in the future?
What would have been the best option?

You wouldn't have been able to PC the card to anything but the no-AF version of the Marriott card (which I am going to assume still exists). 

Are you thinking you want to open the card the again for age? Or, are you wanting the Marriott benefits?  I think one alternative option would be to apply for the SPG (not luxury) AmEx card after you've had the Marriott closed for 30 days. You should then be eligible for the 75k for $3k spend and no AF for the first year. Earning and free night certificate on anniversary is same. 

Message 6 of 7
DU556
Regular Contributor

If i can qualify for the SUB two years after opening up my original account,i think I'll just wait until i need a hotel room to receive the bonus again
. No need to rush right now.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.