cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did we exchange vows to be faithful and true with AMEX? They act as though we are married

tag
plasticguy
Established Contributor

Did we exchange vows to be faithful and true with AMEX? They act as though we are married

Point being, if you open a new account elsewhere they look at you as though you are cheating on them. As long as you have paid them and everyone else on time and utilization is low, why is it such a big deal to them. I'm still surprise I haven't been CLD. I'm more surprise they backdated the opening date of the blue card to 1987, especially when there was no blue
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did we exchange vows to be faithful and true with AMEX? They act as though we are married

@plasticguy wrote:
Point being, if you open a new account elsewhere they look at you as though you are cheating on them. As long as you have paid them and everyone else on time and utilization is low, why is it such a big deal to them. I'm still surprise I haven't been CLD. I'm more surprise they backdated the opening date of the blue card to 1987, especially when there was no blue

It's only a matter of time before the control-freak personality and the mood swings start to surface. And then there's the waiting anxiously every night at home, worried that you could get beaten with an F/R or CLD just because the AmEx computer had a bad day ...

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did we exchange vows to be faithful and true with AMEX? They act as though we are married

I can already imagine the divorce:

Amex: "Let's do this in all fairness. I'll get the house, and you can keep your collection of coasters."

Message 3 of 12
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

If you keep talking about them while you think their back is turned there's going to be hell to pay.
Message 4 of 12
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

plasticguy wrote:
Point being, if you open a new account elsewhere they look at you as though you are cheating on them. As long as you have paid them and everyone else on time and utilization is low, why is it such a big deal to them.

Credit doesn't exist in a vacuum.  Creditors were foolish in the recent past and extended TOTAL amounts of credit that were not wise, in the belief that the accounts that would fail would be a small percentage of the total defaults.  Now you may be up to date with AMEX, but if they see your status with other creditors as troubling they do indeed see it as a trouble sign for them, as they should!  It's a case of musical chairs, no one wants to be the last one standing.  This is the price we pay for electronic records for our financial life, it lets everyone in on your credit use and status.  What you describe is healthy, and should have been done all along.
Message 5 of 12
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

@plasticguy wrote:
Point being, if you open a new account elsewhere they look at you as though you are cheating on them. As long as you have paid them and everyone else on time and utilization is low, why is it such a big deal to them.

Credit doesn't exist in a vacuum.  Creditors were foolish in the recent past and extended TOTAL amounts of credit that were not wise, in the belief that the accounts that would fail would be a small percentage of the total defaults.  Now you may be up to date with AMEX, but if they see your status with other creditors as troubling they do indeed see it as a trouble sign for them, as they should!  It's a case of musical chairs, no one wants to be the last one standing.  This is the price we pay for electronic records for our financial life, it lets everyone in on your credit use and status.  What you describe is healthy, and should have been done all along.

I don't understand how this response relates to the OP's statement.

There have been electronic records of our financial life as long as credit cards have been generally available. Longer actually. Nothing new there.

Message 6 of 12
notmyname
Regular Contributor

They weren't back dating your blue card....they were back dating your year of membership as it related to all your cards , including blue, or whatever you might have.

If you don't like that I am sure there are many who would like it.

Have a good holiday,

NMN

@plasticguy wrote:

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jmbfl wrote:

I don't understand how this response relates to the OP's statement.

There have been electronic records of our financial life as long as credit cards have been generally available. Longer actually. Nothing new there.

I think the new thing is that the credit card companies now realise that they extend credit that sometimes sums up to multiples of annual salaries without even checking whether the annual salary on record has any basis in reality (see that link to the NY Times article somewhere on page 1).

So, you apply for an Amex card, you give them a (perhaps bogus) number for your yearly income, they check what credit other companies gave you and then decide how much additional credit they will give you. After this is done, you decide to get a few more credit cards, and they now think that you have too much total credit for your salary. So they either decrease your credit line with them, or check your income and your expenses, or both.

That's something new. It's not only about your history of paying back credit, like up to now. It's about your ability of paying back credit. Which might change from one day to the other, anyway.

Message 8 of 12
MrCredit
Established Contributor

@plasticguy wrote:

I do not mean to steal the topic here, I just want to say that I was recently CLD by Amex. They act like they are cream of the crop.... they are not accepted everywhere! I would expect treatment like this from Visa and MC banks that are prime, it seems like Amex is the talk of the forums here(more CLD than most), I refuse to carry one of their cards.. Its just hype. Their card is no better than a good prime Visa or MC but with no AF! I cancelled my account after being CLD from 4000 to 500. Blue Cash.

Message 9 of 12
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

I wish more CCCs followed Amex's lead and backdated CC's age to reflect when you first had a relationship with them.  It's ridiculous that every new, additional Chase, Citi, or BoA card you open comes with a shiny new age to ding your credit report history.  To me, Amex's backdating of new accts is the one factor that separates them from all other CCCs (in a positive way) and makes them worthy of expanding a relationship with.  That is, if you can get past their schizophrenic personality.  :smileywink:
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.