cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different middle name on credit cards? Same credit report?

tag
onstar
Established Contributor

Re: Different middle name on credit cards? Same credit report?

@UncleB wrote:

If it were me, I would get this worked out with Social Security to 'fix' the problem altogether.  At some point, it will come up.

Highlighted for emphasis.

I know, it's gonna be a pain. But you should do this ASAP.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who would I have to contact regarding that? If I wanted to keep my social security middle name, how would I go about changing anything else?

Or how would I use both? I would think using both is easier?
Message 12 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Who would I have to contact regarding that? If I wanted to keep my social security middle name, how would I go about changing anything else?

Or how would I use both? I would think using both is easier?

I'm not a lawyer, but I've always assumed (I hate that word) that your birth certificate would 'rule' in the event of a discrepancy, just like it did with my grandmother's birthday. 

If you prefer the name as it's on record with the SSA, you will likely have to get a legal name change, since essentially the name on file with the SSA isn't really yours anyway - it's an error, although an error you're OK with.

If you plan on using your passport anytime in the near future, I would move forward with getting this resolved, one way or another.  I would hate to be denied international boarding by TSA due to an issue with an 'alias' that could have been resolved earlier.  Smiley Surprised

Just my 2¢ 

Edit:  As to who to contact, if it were me, I would start with the SSA.  You will have to make an appointment to go to the office nearest you (they'll need to see you in person, with your birth certificate, or at least they did with my grandmother).

Message 13 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I would stick with the name on your passport when you decide to get everything worked out. Getting a new passport is just ANOTHER thing to take care of. 

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.