Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dillard's American Express

tag
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Dillard's American Express

Now this is a title that you are least likely to see on this forum lol

This is unfortunately my second oldest card. I had just reached the age of the majority (adult) when I got the card.  I don't see much discussion about any past successful CLI's.  I would love more than ever to close this card, but that would hurt me more than leaving it open. 

It has a small CL - I called sometime in July or August about a CLI, but they have taken this feature away presumably because of the pandemic.  The rep I spoke with also stated when you do a CLI it is a hp.  So I doubt I will ever request one even if they re-instate the feature.

I think I need to make a charge because it will soon be a year since I last done so, but I have a card for any spend that I do right now so I severely lack motivation to figure it out. 

Anyone else still holding on to this relic? Any DP's you care to share? I did receive an auto-increase once, but I am sure that is when GE still owned the card.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dillard's American Express

You may not want to spend much time on the card not growing? Retail brick and mortar is not a hot spot for spending. Dillard's like many other retailers has seen their share of red ink so the future is not yet written.
Message 2 of 15
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Go use it to buy yourself a cup of coffee or next time you pass a convenience store get a 1/2 liter bottle of water or soda.

Or, if you're really that disinterested just sockdrawer the card and let them eventually close it for non-use.  You've got more than 10 years to get yourself set up to ensure having it fall off of your credit reports is an effective non-issue.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 15
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I have this card and I don't use it at all unless Dillard's send me some sort of spend offer that happens maybe one or twice a year. Usually to the tune of spend $500 get $50 in Dillard's credit.

Shy of one of those offers I just do a small Amazon reload on the card for a couple of bucks every 3 months or so and leave it be.
Message 4 of 15
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

All great suggestions, this is why this forum is great. @coldfusion I think I am going to do this today, thanks for the suggestion!

Message 5 of 15
sxa001
Valued Contributor

I will admit I have been a bit addicted to buying clothes.  I possibiliy have more shoes and clothes than my wife.  I have been on a clothes shopping hiatus this year because I recognized my spend was a little out of control in previous years.  Dillard's has always been a favorite of mine.  I bought my suit and clothes for my wedding two years ago at Dillard's so I applied for the card since they were offering the $100 in Dillard's credits (given as 10 months of $10 certificates).  Basicall this means that I went every month for 10 months to use the certificates and spent way more than I should have, enough to hit their "Elite" level.  

My credit line started at $1800, never have seen an increase.  I used to shop there enough that the lady in the tailered mens department would call me when they were having a sell.  She called me earlier this year to let me know their semi-annual sell was going on, I think she was dissapointed to hear I am not buying clothes or shoes this year and honestly my extreme shopping days are gone, my wife says she likes when I dress casual Smiley Happy 

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sxa001 wrote:

I will admit I have been a bit addicted to buying clothes.  I possibiliy have more shoes and clothes than my wife.  I have been on a clothes shopping hiatus this year because I recognized my spend was a little out of control in previous years.  Dillard's has always been a favorite of mine.  I bought my suit and clothes for my wedding two years ago at Dillard's so I applied for the card since they were offering the $100 in Dillard's credits (given as 10 months of $10 certificates).  Basicall this means that I went every month for 10 months to use the certificates and spent way more than I should have, enough to hit their "Elite" level.  

My credit line started at $1800, never have seen an increase.  I used to shop there enough that the lady in the tailered mens department would call me when they were having a sell.  She called me earlier this year to let me know their semi-annual sell was going on, I think she was dissapointed to hear I am not buying clothes or shoes this year and honestly my extreme shopping days are gone, my wife says she likes when I dress casual Smiley Happy 

What kind of casual ? Business casual ? Or vans and jeans causal ? lol

Message 7 of 15
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@sxa001  I forgot to mention I no longer have a Dillard's near me. It was one of my favorite places to shop for a while.  Congrats to you on making a 180 by adjusting your spending habits.  Breaking habits or establishing new ones can be challenging. It sounds like you really flipped the off switch rapidly, that's admirable.

Message 8 of 15
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@sxa001 wrote:

The New Year Day sale at Dillard's is one of my favorite times to shop there.   It's crazy, chaotic, and I love every minute of it.  I don't shop there nearly as much as I used to since Belk moved into the area.  Belk gets a lot of my spend for casual clothes. 

Message 9 of 15
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of a card that gets very little use.  I get this email today.  Not going to take advantage of it as I don't care for cell phone protection via a credit card.  If anything at least they're adding something rather than taking away as it seems to be the case with most cards lately. 

dillard cell phone.jpg

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.