Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diners Club $15K and a phone call

tag
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Diners Club $15K and a phone call

So last night I decided to do some shopping, DC in hand went to a few "high end" stores. Gucci, Prada, Burberry, Cartier and LV. After putting close to $10k on the first 4 stores I went in to LV to get me a new luggage for my trip to Vegas on 2 weeks. Luggage was about $5K and it went through without a hitch. I never called them about any up coming shopping. As I'm waiting for the lady to bag my stuff up I get a phone call from an odd number I didn't reconize. I answered and it was Diners Club fraud department. They asked me if they were talking to me lol. I then said yes and he proceeded to ask about my purchases and if I had indeed made them. Told him yes and he verified my personal info and said have a good night. Will be paying this off after it post, oh how I hate interest lol. Looks like they are watching.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Diners Club $15K and a phone call

Until they figure out your spending patterns this isnt all that odd. Especially this time of the year.
Message 2 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

I was kinda suprised that they let that all go through before calling me.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

@ojefferyo wrote:

I was kinda suprised that they let that all go through before calling me.

Are you shopping near your home? When my CC was "compromised" a decade ago, there were charges I did not make, from So Calif where I do not live, and the CCC called me to verify if I made the charges. Since I did not, they proceeded to void the charges with the merchant and close/change the CC. So the charges were initially not denied, just followed up / resolved separately between the CCC and Merchant.

If you had not made the charges and gotten the call, and said, no you did not initiate the charges, you can bet the card would be shut down immediately for any further activity. The method they used is least disruptive. I also got a text recently from Discover that I had to reply to "Did you make these recent charges, reply Y or N", so that's another validation check they can do.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

They were made about 20 minutes away from where I live, so I don't know if that still qualifies as my "home" area or not. 

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ojefferyo wrote:

So last night I decided to do some shopping, DC in hand went to a few "high end" stores. Gucci, Prada, Burberry, Cartier and LV. After putting close to $10k on the first 4 stores I went in to LV to get me a new luggage for my trip to Vegas on 2 weeks. Luggage was about $5K and it went through without a hitch. I never called them about any up coming shopping. As I'm waiting for the lady to bag my stuff up I get a phone call from an odd number I didn't reconize. I answered and it was Diners Club fraud department. They asked me if they were talking to me lol. I then said yes and he proceeded to ask about my purchases and if I had indeed made them. Told him yes and he verified my personal info and said have a good night. Will be paying this off after it post, oh how I hate interest lol. Looks like they are watching.

Can you send the cartier my way ?.. Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

Message 6 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

@ojefferyo wrote:

They were made about 20 minutes away from where I live, so I don't know if that still qualifies as my "home" area or not. 

Yes, I'd classify that as home area. I'm thinking if it were several states away, that would also trigger a call, hopefully at a lower level of spend.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@yesi-ts-me wrote:

@ojefferyo wrote:

Santa told me you been a bad boy this year Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ojefferyo wrote:

@yesi-ts-me wrote:

@ojefferyo wrote:

Santa told me you been a bad boy this year Smiley LOL

Its good to be bad.. He.. he .. he. Smiley Happy  I really like this Fico board.

Message 9 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

yesi, did you get to jump on the DC train?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.