Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diners Club Elite Decision

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Diners Club Elite Decision

In about 90 days my Diners Club Elite card ($300 AF) will become due as will some others who got in around Oct 2014. Last year for some happy reason that many of us were glad to see, this FEE was Waived for both consumer cards for those who were lucky enough to get that pass.

In reviewing my current accounts a few of which are fairly recent, i just can't seem to justify anymore doing the AF on the Elite Card but i can still stomach the $95 AF for the Premier.

For those of you who are in this Diners Club group OR have dealings directly with BMO Harris card accounts, my question is how are they on retention offers for their AF cards, and namely with those who might have tried before with their Diners Club card?

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Re: Diners Club Elite Decision

What are the benefits for this card? Wasn't there a clever way to earn SPG points w/ this?

Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cal- wrote:

What are the benefits for this card? Wasn't there a clever way to earn SPG points w/ this?

yup.  1250 points to 750 spg points. 

"Conversion to Starpoints. Since Starwood Preferred Guest is one of the seven hotel programs that cardholders can transfer points to, it opens up a tremendous additional range of options. The transfer ratio is just 1,250 Diners Club Rewards points to 750 Starpoints, which works out to 0.6 Starpoints per Diners Club point. When you figure in Starwood’s 5,000 point bonus for transferring 20,000 points to miles, it works out to 0.75 miles per Diners Club point. While this seems like poor value at first, it becomes intriguing when you again factor in the Diners Club Elite spending bonus at gas stations, grocery stores, and drug stores. On those purchases you’re effectively earning 1.8 Starpoints per dollar, which works out to 2.25 miles per dollar when transferring Starpoints to miles in increments of 20,000."

Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cal- wrote:

The only real difference between this and Premier is the 3x gas/groceries and WEMC. Not worth $300 IMO unless you spend a ton of money on those two categories--and they terminated the accounts of those who tried to spend that artificially, too.

Personally, I'm justifying the $95 for my Premier with the lounge access and PIN support. However, the PIN support has been kind of a hassle in the US so I use my chip and signature cards 95% of the time. Cat Sad

Message 4 of 32
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Now that we have answered a question with a question that asked about the benefits of it, how about once again helping a fellow member answer his as originally put.

Again, my question is how is BMO Harris on retention offers for any of their AF cards, and chiefly someone who might have tried it before with their Diners Club card?

Any results? None at all? Thanks for any details worth mentioning.

Message 5 of 32
android01
Valued Contributor

I haven't had any experience with their retention policies.  I'd be inclined to try and merge the CL's and close the more expensive of the two.  I have the $95 card and thought about getting the Elite but decided it wasn't worth the AF. 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 6 of 32
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@android01 wrote:

I haven't had any experience with their retention policies.  I'd be inclined to try and merge the CL's and close the more expensive of the two.  I have the $95 card and thought about getting the Elite but decided it wasn't worth the AF. 

That's one of the better plans IMHO and a good one no doubt, but i'm really apprehensive if BMO Harris is even about those such combos, or at least i've yet to run across any results to that effect.

I want to check on some suggestions coming thru here first before ringing them up next month and start pressing them over available options if any.

One thing is certain though, i'm not interested in another AF contribution to this current card despite the nice $20K line and APR.

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

They won't merge limits as others have tried and given their reluctance to be very helpful with that and limit increases I wouldn't hold out much hope on getting any retention offer.  I haven't read of anyone here or elsewhere getting one.

Message 8 of 32
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They won't merge limits as others have tried and given their reluctance to be very helpful with that and limit increases I wouldn't hold out much hope on getting any retention offer.  I haven't read of anyone here or elsewhere getting one.

Neither have i Irish80.

And why this was a sort of last ditch call out to see if anyone else with an upcoming AF for the Elite has had any results with that.

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Neither have i Irish80.

And why this was a sort of last ditch call out to see if anyone else with an upcoming AF for the Elite has had any results with that.

Wish you luck.  I didn't try for one on my anniversary as I was one of the lucky ones that had their AFs waived.  Let us know what happens.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.