Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diners Club Hidden Tradeline?

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Diners Club Hidden Tradeline?

@Sharingan wrote:

I still have my Diners Club Premier card. I can't say I use it very often because the rewards are mediocre compared to my other cards. I'm not sure how long I'll end up keeping it (at least the next year or two), but I will say that the hidden TL has been very handy for when I wanted to revolve an unplanned expense. It's been the only "flavor of the month" card that I actually bothered applying for because I had a purpose for it in mind at the time.

I spent a lot of time pondering whether or not I should apply for it, and submitted my app just a couple of days before Diners Club stopped accepting them. 

It's not about little rewards. If you travel internationally. Then you will understand the value of Diners Club. 

Message 21 of 44
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I really don't understand how you can assert what's best for someone, or how they should be using their cards. I don't have trouble using my other cards abroad, so I sure as heck wouldn't pay 95 dollars a year just to have it available for international travel. As I said, I had a purpose in mind for my card, and that's personal. If you use yours differently, fantastic. My needs and wants don't have to align with yours.

Message 22 of 44
taxi818
Super Contributor

Of course not you personally. Don't go too deep in the statement. You is figure of speech. In general. 

Message 23 of 44
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Perhaps, but when you quote someone and start using "you," it makes it a lot more specific. There are other ways to remind or emphasize other benefits of the card to readers. 

Message 24 of 44
taxi818
Super Contributor

Perhaps. But most get it. Sorry you did not. Ooh well 

Message 25 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple other things I like about DC:

1. Their primary rental coverage is a lot less vague than Chase's. For instance, there is a maximum MSRP that's covered.

2. Lounge access, albeit I've only used it once so far.

That said, I do wonder if the Elite card from UNFCU would be better. It's chip and PIN too, has no FTF and has lounge access as well. And $50 AF vs. $95.

Message 26 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, hidden trade line.  It's not any one thing that I like about DC it's the combination of benefits.  No FTF, real chip and pin that works at unattended stations in Europe, gas, subway, train. Hidden trade line.  Lounge access.  Good bonus categories (for me) and you can transfer points to Delta, BA, Marriott, SPG.  That makes points a lot more valuable to me than being restricted to travel reimbursement or gift cards.  BAA really devalued program but you can still get good short haul awards at 4500 and 9000 points.  Compare that to a $90 value with many card redemptions 

Message 27 of 44
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Their primary rental coverage is a lot less vague than Chase's. For instance, there is a maximum MSRP that's covered.

That said, I do wonder if the Elite card from UNFCU would be better. It's chip and PIN too, has no FTF and has lounge access as well. And $50 AF vs. $95.

The Elite from UNFCU isn't quite comparable to either Diners card. The lounge access, transfer of points to multiple possible airlines and hotels, and other benefits of Diners makes it worth it, for me. It's been the one card that is in my wallet all the time, as other cards rotate for specific uses, Diners is the catch all that gets regular use.

Yeah, it's only 1 pt per dollar, but the types of specific spend most other category rewards have limit how much one can use them as well.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 28 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The Elite from UNFCU isn't quite comparable to either Diners card. The lounge access, transfer of points to multiple possible airlines and hotels, and other benefits of Diners makes it worth it, for me. It's been the one card that is in my wallet all the time, as other cards rotate for specific uses, Diners is the catch all that gets regular use.

Yeah, it's only 1 pt per dollar, but the types of specific spend most other category rewards have limit how much one can use them as well.

Yeah the redemption options are definitely better on DC. I have an Andrews FCU card which gets almost no use because CUrewards doesn't even provide a statement credit/cash back option. I was pretty much forced to use the 5,000 point bonus that I got when I first opened the card on nearly useless junk. Cat Frustrated UNFCU's rewards program is slightly better but nowhere near as flexible.

BMO, if you're listening...3x travel and dining would be really nice on the Premier. Cat Very Happy

Message 29 of 44
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah the redemption options are definitely better on DC. I have an Andrews FCU card which gets almost no use because CUrewards doesn't even provide a statement credit/cash back option. I was pretty much forced to use the 5,000 point bonus that I got when I first opened the card on nearly useless junk. Cat Frustrated UNFCU's rewards program is slightly better but nowhere near as flexible.

BMO, if you're listening...3x travel and dining would be really nice on the Premier. Cat Very Happy

This is the one regret with Diners. if i had to do it over again. i would go for the elite. regardless of the AF. 3x gas and Dining is great. I can't beleive after all this time they have not re opened applications. and im too chicken to poke the sleeping bear about a CLI. no way. im waiting on some brave member to call and inquire. and post the results.

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.