cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diners Club raises Points to Miles minimum

NRB525
Super Contributor

Diners Club raises Points to Miles minimum

Checked on transferring Diners Club points to airline miles, and they have raised the minimum necessary. Also seem to have raised the points required for some of the transfer partners.

In each case, any airline is for a minimum of 10,000 resulting miles.

British Airways, transfer 11,000 miles to get 10,000 Avios.

Delta transfer 10,750 to get 10,000 Delta miles

Alaska transfer 11,825 to get 10,000 Alaska miles ( part of the updated devaulations here ).

So it's going to take about $11,000 of spend to be able to transfer to anyone, then another $11,000, etc.

But it has Chip+PIN, so there's still that Smiley Happy 

SDFCU 2% card with Chip+PIN and no AF looking better all the time.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar

Re: Diners Club raises Points to Miles minimum

IIRC, this trend started sometime last year with a variety of those partner transfers/redemptions.  I noticed it on both of my Diners Club CCs.

Message 2 of 9
sjt
Senior Contributor

I wonder if they will open up the applications again.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Platinum, Business Cash
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture VS
Chase: Freedom U VS, CSR VI
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity VS
Credit Union: Rewards Visa
FICO 08: (3.04.21) EX: 838 / EQ: 850 / TU: 848
Message 3 of 9
FinStar

@sjt wrote:

@sjt- according to a senior manager (from a few years ago) at BMO who oversaw the US consumer DC program, there were no plans in the foreseeable future to reopen applications.  Their Corporate Card solutions program is still available, though.

Message 4 of 9
sjt
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@sjt wrote:

@sjt- according to a senior manager (from a few years ago) at BMO who oversaw the US consumer DC program, there were no plans in the foreseeable future to reopen applications.  Their Corporate Card solutions program is still available, though.

Thanks for the update! It's too bad they are not reviving the cards. It has so much potential.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Platinum, Business Cash
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture VS
Chase: Freedom U VS, CSR VI
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity VS
Credit Union: Rewards Visa
FICO 08: (3.04.21) EX: 838 / EQ: 850 / TU: 848
Message 5 of 9
tmiw
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

FYI I believe SDFCU got rid of PIN preference as an option recently. There's still PIN on there, just that the card is now only signature preferring like the vast majority of other US cards.

Message 6 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@tmiw wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

FYI I believe SDFCU got rid of PIN preference as an option recently. There's still PIN on there, just that the card is now only signature preferring like the vast majority of other US cards.

Good to know. 
Guess that seals the AF for Diners again this year. Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
Message 7 of 9
gregorius
Valued Member

@tmiw  confirmed - SDFCU reps told me a PIN-preferring card wasn't an option when I was approved for the VS last month (so now they're aware it's changed). At least it still has fallback offline PIN?

Message 8 of 9
tmiw
Established Contributor

@gregorius wrote:

@tmiw  confirmed - SDFCU reps told me a PIN-preferring card wasn't an option when I was approved for the VS last month (so now they're aware it's changed). At least it still has fallback offline PIN?

Honestly, I'm not even sure PIN is all that important anymore. Even a few years ago, contactless payment support was almost everywhere (in the UK at least), not to mention that using Apple Pay etc. was usually usable regardless of the amount. I imagine support is even better now thanks to the pandemic. 

Anyway, I'm more surprised there aren't more switching from PIN to signature preference. UNFCU, for instance, still prefers it (even though it became online PIN instead of offline)--even on contactless.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.