Diners club locked

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Diners club locked

@FinStar wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

You actually mailed a payment? All I can say is wow. Smiley Sad

Yes, exactly my view as well.  CreditMagic7, sorry to be blunt, but you have only yourself to blame on this one.  Plenty of institutions that have the bill payer option that allow Diners Club as a payee that you can add yourself thus saving the whole aggravation issue.  I was able to push payments from three sources/banks, even a CU without any issues... all delivered as per their SLAs.  You could have also elected to wait and made the payment online via Diners once the payment portal became available.  So, yes you are overreacting for something that was totally preventable.  And, no the USPS is not always 100% reliable.  They've lost countless of mail parcels sooo....

I think this is blaming the victim a little too much.   CreditMagic has a USPS proof of delivery, this is really the standard way to pay (in the population at large, many don't trust online banking any more than you trust USPS)

Message 81 of 92
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

Yes, exactly my view as well.  CreditMagic7, sorry to be blunt, but you have only yourself to blame on this one.  Plenty of institutions that have the bill payer option that allow Diners Club as a payee that you can add yourself thus saving the whole aggravation issue.  I was able to push payments from three sources/banks, even a CU without any issues... all delivered as per their SLAs.  You could have also elected to wait and made the payment online via Diners once the payment portal became available.  So, yes you are overreacting for something that was totally preventable.  And, no the USPS is not always 100% reliable.  They've lost countless of mail parcels sooo....

I think this is blaming the victim a little too much.   CreditMagic has a USPS proof of delivery, this is really the standard way to pay (in the population at large, many don't trust online banking any more than you trust USPS)

Not really.  The advice was provided to CreditMagic7 in separate threads about the viable payment options that were available online and through any banking institution which seemed receptive from his replies - based on the launch of this product.  Notwithstanding, proof of delivery really falls upon USPS' burden, since essentially this only confirms "delivery" of the item (not necessarily 100% proof either by countless of folks who have used this same service and mail pieces have been lost/misdirected, etc.) - yet it's not actual receipt of acknowledgement by the receiver unless there is a signature of the item.  So, it may still be in that PO Box or it may not have been properly scanned (who knows), I suppose we can wait and see based upon when the payment posts to the account.

Message 82 of 92
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

Not really.  The advice was provided to CreditMagic7 in separate threads about the viable payment options that were available online and through any banking institution which seemed receptive from his replies - based on the launch of this product.  Notwithstanding, proof of delivery really falls upon USPS' burden, since essentially this only confirms "delivery" of the item (not necessarily 100% proof either by countless of folks who have used this same service and mail pieces have been lost/misdirected, etc.) - yet it's not actual receipt of acknowledgement by the receiver unless there is a signature of the item.  So, it may still be in that PO Box or it may not have been properly scanned (who knows), I suppose we can wait and see based upon when the payment posts to the account.

But outside of MyFIco, I still think many (and maybe most) do mail in payments for everything, because who trusts online banking.  So it's not as unreasonable thing to do as your reply seems to imply.    Now if he had asked a random passerby to find some way to deliver it, yes, but this is (still) the default method of payment.

Message 83 of 92
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

Hmm...anyone work for a payment department who can verify if more payments are online or by mail? I would've thought nowadays most people pay online although up until half a year ago, I sent a check for my car payment every month. 

I agree that we shouldn't blame CreditMagic; it's either a USPS or payment department screw-up. But working for an online business has taught me ALWAYS get signature confirmation (and insurance) any time you mail something if you can't afford to take the hit if it gets lost. Although with a check, signature confirmation is enough. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 84 of 92
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

But outside of MyFIco, I still think many (and maybe most) do mail in payments for everything, because who trusts online banking.  So it's not as unreasonable thing to do as your reply seems to imply.    Now if he had asked a random passerby to find some way to deliver it, yes, but this is (still) the default method of payment.

It might be the default method for a good portion of the population but most of the polled major banks (including community banks and CUs) have reported a significant decrease in mail-in payments and physical correspondence in the last several years due to the increase of online payment presentment/ACH (payee or payor), secured messaging/electronic correspondence options and services that were predominantly only available by phone or mail.  So, maybe to your point, CreditMagic7 may fall in that lowere percentage of folks who still makes their payments via snail mail.

Message 85 of 92
taxi818
Super Contributor

Actually I never blamed him. I said I'm in Awe that he or she did mail payment. I still have friends that will not use a credit card online. As if they have a cool mill on it. Not even their money. But I understand if they feel more comfortable driving to store. But. Some find it hard to let go the old ways.  It's a good way to have a late payment too. 

Message 86 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

Actually I never blamed him. I said I'm in Awe that he or she did mail payment. I still have friends that will not use a credit card online. As if they have a cool mill on it. Not even their money. But I understand if they feel more comfortable driving to store. But. Some find it hard to let go the old ways.  It's a good way to have a late payment too. 

I prefer to go to a Brick and Mortar as well if I can get a price match. Smiley Happy

Message 87 of 92
waiter
Regular Contributor

little off topic..

Does this diner thing reports to cra's.

Message 88 of 92
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@waiter wrote:

little off topic..

Does this diner thing reports to cra's.

Not as of yet (for me at least).  There's been a tiny sprinkle of folks on other forums (although unconfirmed) that stated that their accounts have reported.

Message 89 of 92
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I always trusted USPS to get the job done and they never let me down yet. And yes i ALSO roll with the common paper/stamped/metered mail service in addition to online but am also not so naive as to trust ALL my financials to remote technology or start off with a new lender with that same componant, NOT JUST YET anyway. My practice always is DIRECT paper mail via USPS with any new lender for a few months (if at all). I read plenty of threads where one little minor item normally trusted to those system's happen to either been overlooked then up sneaks in on you either a LATE or similar-like electronic mishap, and frankly i am not prepared to gamble with that potential PERIOD. With paper bills and transactions i have 100% total control of the physical tracking in tandem with computer technology as well as am infinitely more confident with those services just as they always been for me. That being said.............

I suppose personal finance habits take longer for some like me to change over to in much the same way that you might feel about switching from one smartphone to another. The way in which we all manage our earnings is very important to all of us, and i completely relate to the pros & cons between both expressed. But holding onto the now called "old way" of doing things is in my experience quite rational and much more safe at this point for me. If it still works it doesn't need fixing just yet right?

Anyway, this isolated (i hope) particular core issue will likely blow over as will the other Hiccups some are experiencing with Diner's, because after all they do have a reputation to maintain, but it's rather difficult to not express some form of apprehension (or overreaction) Smiley Wink given these early bumps in the road. That being said my rewards also posted today for the first time. I'm not sure what the exact (if any) projected date for that was, but that is definitely a welcome (positive) sign. Mine is just a typical inconvenience i think so i thank you guys for alotting me some space to blow off steam about it.

Message 90 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.