Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dining Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dining Card

Hi, Guys.

Does anyone think it is smart to get a 3% dining card if ALL you are going to use it for is about $250 a month in dining?

Or is it better to get CITI DC and use that for dining (and other things)?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
OmarR
Established Contributor

Re: Dining Card

If there is no AF on the card, go for it!

The Uber card is 4% dining with no AF.

I don't get involve with any of the Chase cards since I do not travel. But if you do, you may want to look at their cards to see if they benefit your spending habits.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 2 of 8
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, Guys.

Does anyone think it is smart to get a 3% dining card if ALL you are going to use it for is about $250 a month in dining?

$250 a month in dining at 3% gives you $7.50/month. Do you want the hit on your AAoA for that little return? Do you have other cards for everyday expenses that you can use for dining as well?

Message 3 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The extra 1 percent on dining compared to a DC card is 2.50 a month with your spending example. Is 2.50 extra per month worth another account to you? To me it’s basically peanuts and not worthwhile but YMMV. You can easily save the same 2.50 by cutting out one coffee trip a month ...

If you are going to put more expenses on the dining card it could become more worthwhile.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I woud rate a 2% on all card higher than a dining specific card.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I woud rate a 2% on all card higher than a dining specific card.

U know what I’m kinda leaning towards this as well. I really just want to go to a 2 card system to simplify everything. For ie. a 2% card for everything that I can’t get 5% from Discover. The only exception would be cobranded cards that are to be used for specific purposes etc.

Back on topic, I currently use my Savor card for dining (I pced to it from a quicksilver). I like it but It’s not anything I would apply for tbh. If you have a Cap 1 card and want a dining card just PC to the savor.

Message 6 of 8
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Mr_suave wrote:
U know what I’m kinda leaning towards this as well. I really just want to go to a 2 card system to simplify everything.

I used to think the same way too.

But as a result of chasing 5% categories in different cards, I have formed relationships with NFCU, USAA, USBank, Vantage West and Chase for brick-n-mortar cash deposits. Maybe one day they dump me, or maybe I dump them. My 2% Citi DC is pretty useless to me in my sock drawer, but they keep offering me 0% until Fall 2019.

The other guys that say YMMV are correct. It's going to be different for everyone. But I will never stick to one bank or one card.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 7 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, Guys.

Do the math. You need to look at how much you would make when you add your dining spend at 3% back to all your other spend at 1% back. Now compare that number to what you get back if all your spend including dining is at a 2% back rate. There is your answer. If you are going to get an AF card then deduct the AF from what you get back. Then you have to factor in other perks of that card. In the end if you want cash back I'd just get a 2% card and call it a day, since your dining spend is not that great to warrant a card just for dining. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.