Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disadvantages and advantages of AMEX backdating and CK drop

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disadvantages and advantages of AMEX backdating and CK drop

First, for some reason when I went to login I had to create a new user ID. I used to be Cageym, not sure what the issue is. Now, I had Amex backdated to 93 and my Zync card showed up finally, the Delta hasn't yet. So my AoAA took a huge jump, so did all the reported scores. New scores are shown so I'm much closer to that 800 club than I was yesterday. Disadvantage of the backdating was they have sent me new cards and since I'm overseas it takes a few weeks for the cards to get here. I have to wait to ask for my 61 day 3x CLI until I get the new card because the security number is different. I think I can wait long enough just based on what one backdated card did to my scores. CK showed a drop on my scores because it shows as a new account. Who cares, the reports that matter show all good.Smiley LOL

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Cageym
Established Contributor

Re: Disadvantages and advantages of AMEX backdating and CK drop

LOL! Now I seem to be able to login as me!!

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 2 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Cageym wrote:

haha!  you are a shapeshifter!

Welcome back!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 9
Cageym
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Cageym wrote:

haha!  you are a shapeshifter!

Welcome back!

Robot LOL We are the Borg..oh wait you said shapeshifter.Smiley LOL

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Message 4 of 9
beb86
Valued Contributor

I believe with AMEX the advantages of backdating FAR exceed the disadvantages.

Message 5 of 9
Jutz
Valued Contributor

I doubt your actual FICO scores went down.  CK just estimates your score, and not very well either.  Their AAoA is off, only calculating open accounts, and while I don't think this is what affected you, they probably take off some arbitrary number of points for a "new account" despite the fact that these accounts probably show up to FICO as 20 year old accounts.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 6 of 9
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

First, for some reason when I went to login I had to create a new user ID. I used to be Cageym, not sure what the issue is. Now, I had Amex backdated to 93 and my Zync card showed up finally, the Delta hasn't yet. So my AoAA took a huge jump, so did all the reported scores. New scores are shown so I'm much closer to that 800 club than I was yesterday. Disadvantage of the backdating was they have sent me new cards and since I'm overseas it takes a few weeks for the cards to get here. I have to wait to ask for my 61 day 3x CLI until I get the new card because the security number is different. I think I can wait long enough just based on what one backdated card did to my scores. CK showed a drop on my scores because it shows as a new account. Who cares, the reports that matter show all good.Smiley LOL

I think you're in the "AMEX BD Limbo phase" or whatever it was I called it months ago for another member with a similar issue.   It will shake itself out after a while, some people don't even see this happen on their reports because they don't usually check at the right time (your other reports may have gone through the same thing but you didn't see it).   Your CK account will take a jump probably in a few days, it varies.   I went through it too, seems the date change messes with the systems a bit LOL

I wish I knew  where my old post about it was but too much to dig through Smiley LOL

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 7 of 9
Cageym
Established Contributor

LIke I said, I don't care about CK.I use it only to see movement. As soon as I saw it I went to USAA and downloaded a report. So I'm pretty happy right now. And I agree, the advantages FAR out weigh the disadvantages as far as backdating goes. I've been waiting for at least one of them to start reporrting the new date so I could see the result, and to me it was impressive.

Message 8 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I know that no one is worried too much about what happens to your CK score, but I believe when my backdated Amex accounts reported, it lowered my % of ontime payments because it has no data for the backdated months.  That may be why your score is dropping, because it measures % on-time rather than just looking for 30 day lates.  Of course, it could have been something else, but I can't figure out any other reason that I saw a drastic drop in % on-time payments right around the same time those accounts reported.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.