Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed in Myfico Credit Card Forum

tag
dharalex
Established Contributor

Re: Disappointed in Myfico Credit Card Forum

@SoulMaster wrote:

Personally, I think the OP is looking at the wrong forum... this one is about "Credit Cards"... there is completely different forum called "Rebuilding your Credit".

"Credit Cards" have many different aspects, Acceptance, Denial, Gardening, App Dungeons, Recons, etc...  Some of that might relate to rebuilding, but CC's aren't necessarily about rebuilding. Rebuilding is about rebuilding.

Moreover, getting through a financial mess is all about levity.  If you're not looking on the bright side, it's going to be a slow and painful walk.  You'll see alot of threads "The Decision" for example, that have a TON of humor in them.   Yes, LS was looking to get a new card, and thought he was there (alot of us are in that situation), and there were a bunch of us in there supporting him and sharing his pain when he wasn't, but most of the support had laughs included.

Regardless, it doesn't matter.

-SM

I agree with SM. There is a plethora of information given on this site. This particular section is the credit card section. Some folks do things I wouldn't necessarily do, but I have also gotten valuable info that I wouldn't have otherwise. I sent my "condolences" to the tread the OP was probably referring to because it was simply a funny thread. If you don't like the tone of the thread, or the advice, just click off. You don't have to read it. Who are you to decide what someone should do while rebuilding. He wasn't asking your opinion, he was updating those who were interested on his progress...or lack thereof. There are a number of ways to skin a cat. Just because you don't agree, doesn't mean it isn't so. Likewise, some folks have worked very hard to make significant changes in their scores or to attain certain cards in a long period of time. How refreshing is it to be able to laugh and see the humor in things. To me, this was a reflection of a bunch of folks supporting a person who experienced a disappointment. If your loved one is an alcoholic, wouldn't you still support him in rehab even though you know he shouldn't have taken the drink? Well, there you go. IMHO, this site provides info, opinion, anecdotes, fyi all of which you can take or leave. You are an adult, so you are responsible for leaving what you don't want on the table. You are welcome to your opinion just like every one else, so don't be disappointed, get a sifter and join the Rebuilding your Credit section if that's the info you want to know about.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 53
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I agree that I see here more recently a trend to sway away from the mantra: "only apply for credit you need" but since I've been reading these forums (lurker for  years before participating) there has always been that kind of sway and flow from one extreme to the next with regards to crazy apping and very conservative views on getting the credit cards you want after maximizing the requirements for the best offers. I don't think anyone gets a pass here... so to speak. We get to see on a daily basis individuals that get declined and CLD and AA because of poor decisions or apping too soon before really cultivating their reports for maximum opportunity with the credit they seek.

And then there are also those, thankfully, that make the comments with regards to their mistakes and hopefully we all benefit and learn from it.

When I started reading the forums, I thought there was no hope for me and I'd never even seen a 600 score on my reports. Boy how much I've learned from the information, advice, tribulations and mistakes from people here.

We are but a compliation of our mistakes and me personally, I have learned so much by the pooling of this information in one place so that I might not make the same mistakes as others and can give advice about my own mis-steps and successes.

YMMV  (because of this wonderful acronym we get more insight into the do's and don'ts of credit cards)

Edited for grammar Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 32 of 53
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Thread is locked and under moderator review.  Remember, you are free to disagree with one another but please do so in a respectful manner.

Message 33 of 53
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Thread is now unlocked.

This is an interesting and worthwhile discussion.  As has been demonstrated by many of you, it is possible to have differing opinions stated in a thoughtful manner without making references to another person's intelligence or maturity.

Please do your best to prevent this thread from being locked again, and thank you all for your contributions to this discussion.

Message 34 of 53
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

I agree that I see here more recently a trend to sway away from the mantra: "only apply for credit you need" but since I've been reading these forums (lurker for  years before participating) there has always been that kind of sway and flow from one extreme to the next with regards to crazy apping and very conservative views on getting the credit cards you want after maximizing the requirements for the best offers. I don't think anyone gets a pass here... so to speak. We get to see on a daily basis individuals that get declined and CLD and AA because of poor decisions or apping too soon before really cultivating their reports for maximum opportunity with the credit they seek.

And then there are also those, thankfully, that make the comments with regards to their mistakes and hopefully we all benefit and learn from it.

When I started reading the forums, I thought there was no hope for me and I'd never even seen a 600 score on my reports. Boy how much I've learned from the information, advice, tribulations and mistakes from people here.

We are but a compliation of our mistakes and me personally, I have learned so much by the pooling of this information in one place so that I might not make the same mistakes as others and can give advice about my own mis-steps and successes.

YMMV  (because of this wonderful acronym we get more insight into the do's and don'ts of credit cards)

Edited for grammar Smiley Happy

I would kind of disagree with the whole "only apply for credit if you NEED it" philosophy. I think it has some merit in that you shouldn't over-apply as that dings you and makes you less attractive for when you DO need it, however, if you only applied for what you NEED, you'd hardly ever apply. Let's face it, how many of us NEED credit cards? I bet less than half. I didn't have any until recently and I survived fine without them. If I took that advice literally I still wouldn't have any.

So, I think it's a good guideline but if you take everything you are told as absolute dogma rather than really thinking and doing what's right for you, that's a bad thing.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 35 of 53
CS800
Super Contributor

Is it happy hour yet ??

I'm ready to pass some jack and coke around on this cold Friday the 13th of Jan

Lets chill people. This thread has passed its time...We have all had our agree to disagree moments on it. I welcome the difference of opinions now lets all make peace Smiley Happy

Message 36 of 53
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

It's kind of a "catch22".  (Applying for credit only when you need credit)   You have to have credit to get credit but I think as a philosophy, it's a good guideline.  Take my circumstance... I have methodically applied for credit cards with the strategy of improving my credit.  Getting cards with higher limits to minimize utility if I decide to take advantage of a great APR offer or make a large purchase while at the same time, balancing my available DTI ratio to keep me attractive to lenders.  I plan on getting a mortgage in 2013.  The last think I need now is to apply for more credit because I need the best scores possible to get the lowest rate.  Having a bunch of apps on my report is counter productive to my long term goals.  I applied for the credit because I needed to improve my situation and now... to arbitrarily apply because there is a card that has good rewards would actually not benefit me at all in the long run.  My need to apply has passed... I'm gardening for my next need.  If I have the attitude, app because I want to, then end the end... I lose.  I am applying for credit only when I need it. 

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 37 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is nothing wrong with going on an app spree for every card you want to maximize rewards. I have seen people on here with over 10 cards. While I would never have that many it seems to work for them.

I doubt very many of us, if any of us at all, actually need credit. If you need credit that just means you dont have the money to buy something right now and buying things that you dont have money for (outside of the free month float) can lead to a downward spiral. I got by just fine on a debit card and I don't need credit.

However I want credit for the rewards. Some people want many cards to use for specific categories. I just like to keep it simple with only 2 cards. Discover more for 5% categories, and a travel rewards card for everything else.

Plan out your goals and stick to them. After opening my cap 1 card 6 months ago and starting to follow this board hearing stories of people with a similar or even worse credit profile than me getting all these nice cards it was tempting to app, but I set a goal for no apps for 6 months and I met that goal. Now I am halfway there to the cards I want. I have the discover more, now time to garden again and my goal now is to wait for a good sign up offer for the Cap 1 Venture.

Message 38 of 53
tcbofade
Super Contributor

It has been my experience that if I wait until I "need" it, I get denied...because I "need" it.

I had that conversation with a Discover CSR a few months ago.  As we're still recovering from my wife being out of work, our util is still a bit high.

I'd like to do some zero percent balance transfers to a new card...but can't have one because I "need" it.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 39 of 53
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

Smiley Wink
@tcbofade wrote:

@p- wrote:

If you know it all now, and have nothing more to learn, then go in peace.  We wish you the best of luck.

People who think that they know it all really annoy those of us who do...

...or something like that...  Smiley Tongue

LOL!  I had thought about this saying in a long time; until now!!

I believe the full saying is:

Those of you who think you know everything, are very annoying to those of us who do!  Smiley Wink

Thanks for the laugh, p-!!

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.