Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disco Combination Opinions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disco Combination Opinions

So when i started my rebuild, i got a disco secured card with $200 on it.  I used it and graduated in 7 months no issues. Since then i have only gotten 2 $200 increases on the card.  Not that i expected them to match my other lenders.  After one year, i was approved an unsecured card for 2500, and at the 90 day mark was doubled to 5k.  I have a CLI on the second card, and am debating on if i should just combine them since the original card doesnt seem like it will ever grow.  It is my oldest card tho, so i don't really want to lose that history but if it's never going to grow then its just another one to keep up with. 

What would you do? or not do? 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disco Combination Opinions

How much older is it than your next card? I wouldn’t want to close my QS because it’s 5 years old which makes it 4 years older than my next oldest card, my Discover but if it was say, 3 years old and was on the chopping block I would be much more likely to go through with it.

But also — how much spend will you realistically put on a category card and do you think you will ever have an opportunity to max out a category and have use for the second card’s category?
Message 2 of 22
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It's not hurting anything and there is no AF. Only reason to close now would be that in another year or so it could open you up for a 3rd card.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
How much older is it than your next card? I wouldn’t want to close my QS because it’s 5 years old which makes it 4 years older than my next oldest card, my Discover but if it was say, 3 years old and was on the chopping block I would be much more likely to go through with it.

But also — how much spend will you realistically put on a category card and do you think you will ever have an opportunity to max out a category and have use for the second card’s category?

@Anonymous  I got the disco/cap1 at the same time and 1st NFCU card a month later.  By the end of the year i would have 8 cards at 2yrs if i didnt keep the original disco. 

I don't spend enough for two category cards, so that is another thing as well.  

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kilroy8 wrote:

It's not hurting anything and there is no AF. Only reason to close now would be that in another year or so it could open you up for a 3rd card.

@kilroy8  I honestly don't see me going after a (3rd) 2nd Disco card tho.  SInce it has no AF that helps, but i'm barely using it as well. 

My second card was in June, so i would say i could get another with CB match then.  I'm not going to tho. 

Message 5 of 22
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kilroy8 wrote:

@kilroy8  I honestly don't see me going after a (3rd) 2nd Disco card tho.  SInce it has no AF that helps, but i'm barely using it as well. 

Are the due dates different? You can use them to control cash flow that way.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous  I got the disco/cap1 at the same time and 1st NFCU card a month later.  By the end of the year i would have 8 cards at 2yrs if i didnt keep the original disco. 

I don't spend enough for two category cards, so that is another thing as well.  

Without a doubt I would merge it. It’s only a $600 tradeline and it’s not anywhere near old enough to make any meaningful difference later. 

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kilroy8 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kilroy8 wrote:

Are the due dates different? You can use them to control cash flow that way.

by like 6 days lol 

Message 8 of 22
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Hmm.. is it even worth merging them? .. One advantage of close and open would be if you apped for the Discover "miles" down the road, and get CB match on 1.5% which at the end of year would be a total of 3% CB on.... You know your original card is bucketed... Just some thoughts on that... 

-J

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude wrote:

Hmm.. is it even worth merging them? .. One advantage of close and open would be if you apped for the Discover "miles" down the road, and get CB match on 1.5% which at the end of year would be a total of 3% CB on.... You know your original card is bucketed... Just some thoughts on that... 

-J

@joltdude  i'm a 10000% sure it's bucketed, but i keep calling and talking to Disco about it. My hope is that i can finally get someone to slip up and actually tell me it's bucketed vs. the PC answer they try to give each time i call. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.