Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 2020 calendar

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover 2020 calendar

While I'm also bummed that they removed the physical Target stores next year, I find myself more and more ordering things on target.com to pickup at the store. I can't believe how many items are cheaper on their website than they are in the store!
Message 11 of 26
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Will max Q1 and Q2, and get a good amount of Q3.

Q4 leaves me wanting again.

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm... well I guess it's gonna be SD all year except maybe 3Q for PayPal. 

Message 13 of 26
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am sure I will be able to tap into paypal 5% on top of raise.com discount.

If you are in the cash back game, these are some nice categories.

Maybe I need to expand my horizons, I've had PayPal forever but pretty much just used it to pay for eBay purchases, a very minor spend for me - what's so great about 5% on PayPal? I'm very much in the cashback game, but:

Q1 - I have better than 5% on groceries & don't shop Walgreens or CVS

Q2 - I will use for 5% gas, beats my 3% BoA, but with a high MPG car & short commute, gas isn't a big spend

Q3 - Wiith my Uber getting smerfed in Feb (yea Barclays! Smiley Mad) will use Disco, but not a big spend category for me

Q4 - Rarely shop Amazon and already get 5% at Walmart & Target.com

Meh, I think I'll just toss Disco a BT they've been pushing on me (Disco is Not a card to use for purchases while carrying a BT)

Message 14 of 26
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Gas and groceries is always my money maker. The others meh.

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Q4 is good for ppl who get the 1st yr cash back match. 10% back on BF/Cyber Monday purchases at Amazon, Target and Walmart is amazing. I have been holding off on apping for my first disco cause I already have CF and I’m barely using it for the 5% categories because I don’t use gas (only have public transit costs and Uber occasionally). For groceries l’m getting 6% from BCP but I could use it Q1 for 10% and save BCP for the other quarters. I don’t get that much value out of PayPal either. Aside from the occasional eBay purchase and online shopping, I don’t use PayPal but I’ve done some research on this forum and reddit to learn how to maximize that spend better.
Message 16 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am sure I will be able to tap into paypal 5% on top of raise.com discount.

If you are in the cash back game, these are some nice categories.

Maybe I need to expand my horizons, I've had PayPal forever but pretty much just used it to pay for eBay purchases, a very minor spend for me - what's so great about 5% on PayPal? I'm very much in the cashback game, but:

It can be useful for a whole lot of otherwise uncategorized website spending.   "Quite a few" (technical term!) merchants will accept paypal on their websites and, when I remember, I use it there if not already covered with a better rate.   So recently used it on Verizon and a UK pet supply site.   Probably not $1500 a quarter, but some!

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I usually just put my 500 auto insurance on PayPal, then buy Delta, AA and Google play gc on raise.com, stack PayPal 5% on another 5+% discount for 10% rate.
Message 18 of 26
calyx
Super Contributor

Not bad.  Not amazing, but not bad.  I'm definitely glad paypal is back.

Q1 - Is nice for helping me out with my groceries since without it I'd max my BCP sooner (I don't CVS or Walgreens)

Q2 - Is ok for 5% gas (though my spend is low there), I don't use the other services

Q3 - I can easily max out Paypal (again)

Q4 - Amazon is nice - I don't shop Walmart, and I have a redcard for Target already;  I don't spend that much on Amazon, but I like it for Black Friday/Christmas.

So, it's not bad.   If I have nothing else worth apping for, I might go for my second Disco partway through Q3 for the double CB if they still offer that for the first year.

I still hope that it works well with Freedom, particularly if I can have back to back Paypal quarters again.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got this card recently and spent $300 at Walmart before I found out Target can be in store but not Walmart. 🤦‍♂️

For PayPal if I use my PayPal debit card and connect it to the Discover card instead of my bank account would those purchases count for the 5% category?
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.