Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 2020 calendar

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover 2020 calendar

@Anonymous wrote:
Got this card recently and spent $300 at Walmart before I found out Target can be in store but not Walmart. 🤦‍♂️

For PayPal if I use my PayPal debit card and connect it to the Discover card instead of my bank account would those purchases count for the 5% category?

PayPal debit cannot have a credit card as the funding source anymore and it only ever worked with PayPal credit cards before. 

Message 21 of 26
arizonahd
Contributor

I bought a walmart gift card on the walmart.com site and recieved the 5% bonus like I expected. I did it a second time around and this one didn't go through as a walmart.com purchase. Total waste of time. What am I doing wrong? Should I try buying a regular gift card? We hardly ever buy from the website, so I figured this would be a good work around. 

Message 22 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I guess I wonder what categories people really want to see. In 2020, they are offering one "basic" category every quarter except the last (and Amazon is pretty much a staple for many people, too). Most people spend on groceries, gas, or restaurants, and most on here heavily enough that they have dedicated card(s) for it. So I'm just wondering what you all think Discover could do to innovate the product? If they made the categories more unique, then people would complain they don't apply to their spending habits (the Cash+ has many niche categories, for example).

I guess because people already have dedicated cards for those purchases, they aren't wowed by this. I'm not wowed by it either, but it could certainly be a lot worse (think when Chase did diapers.com on the Freedom, or how Citi routinely does very narrow categories on the Dividend).

Message 23 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I guess I wonder what categories people really want to see. In 2020, they are offering one "basic" category every quarter except the last (and Amazon is pretty much a staple for many people, too). Most people spend on groceries, gas, or restaurants, and most on here heavily enough that they have dedicated card(s) for it. So I'm just wondering what you all think Discover could do to innovate the product? If they made the categories more unique, then people would complain they don't apply to their spending habits (the Cash+ has many niche categories, for example).

I guess because people already have dedicated cards for those purchases, they aren't wowed by this. I'm not wowed by it either, but it could certainly be a lot worse (think when Chase did diapers.com on the Freedom, or how Citi routinely does very narrow categories on the Dividend).

This!   I think if people are in the first year, then double cashback on the welll used categories such as groceries/restaurants/gas is going to be useful to many people in at least one of those categories, and 10% is more than they will get elsewhere.  But after the first year, as kdm suggests, either it's too common to be useful (other cards offer the nearly the same or more) or it's going to be too niche.

So hard for the issuer to get overwhelming love on myfico and similar sites, but that probably doesn't worry them too much!

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked Amazon and they sell Sephora and Nordstrom gift cards Smiley Wink
Message 25 of 26
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

2020 Discover 5% cash back calendar is here!

Just logged in and saw it!  Here it is...

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 12.44.52 PM.png

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.