Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover $3K CLI

tag
BoSox617
Contributor

Discover $3K CLI

Hi all,

I received a customer-initiated $3K CLI on Discover today, bringing me to a $16K CL.  I’ve benefited greatly from the experiences other folks were so kind to share, so I thought I’d give my own this time around. Smiley Happy

My last Discover CLI was about 7 months ago (also customer-initiated, soft inquiry, for $3K - original CL was $10K).  The CSR was friendly and knowledgeable, and was very clear to ask me for permission to make a hard inquiry (TU).  I requested a CLI of $5K (which would have resulted in an $18K CL).  When asked for the reason, I stated that I am about to make some furniture purchases, and wanted to give myself the option to take advantage of the 6 month 1.9% promotional APR I received a couple of months ago (this was also customer-initiated) while keeping my utilization to a reasonable-to-me level (I really hate having a large balance, reported or not).  This is my go-to card for everything other than gas and supermarkets - it’s my absolute favorite, nets me a ton of savings, and I want it to grow. Smiley Happy

I was transferred to a credit analyst, and we chatted for a bit (he was fantastic, friendly, and thorough - I LOVE Discover Reps!).  I was approved for a $3K increase (same amount as my previous CLI), and we had a very informative chat about why.  He noted that they would like to see more history with Discover (I’ve been with Discover for 14 months), to better anticipate how I would handle a larger line (my Discover CL at the time of the request was my highest, at $13K; my next highest CL is $11.5K, then $10K).  I personally don’t see a big difference between $16K and $18K (maybe it was a nice way to spin keeping the CLI to the same amount as my prior one, who knows?), but I’m definitely happy with the $3K!

We discussed my credit report and Discover history at length (I don’t know what my TU FICO score is, but my EQ FICO is 805) – he definitely paid attention to payment history (perfect), seemed happy to see that I use the card heavily, and positively remarked on the fact that I pay Discover multiple times a month.  He seemed genuinely happy to hear that I really take advantage of the multiple ways to save with Discover.  Discover’s quarterly rotating category savings might be on the small side typically, but I save a lot through their online shopping portal, and I especially save a lot with their partner gift cards.  Plus, you can always call in to see if you’re eligible for any additional promotions (I called last week, and received a $20 cash back promo - $1 cash back for the next 20 purchases made with Discover).  Awesome!

I hope this info serves as useful to folks – Discover definitely wants to see some decent history if you’re aiming for higher CLs, likes to see a lot of usage, takes note of the other CLs you have, and views multiple monthly payments positively.

Best of luck!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover $3K CLI

JEALOUS!!!

Congrats!

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 2 of 4
clocktick
Valued Contributor

805=sweet!

I receive my low limit Discover on Monday.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 4
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.