Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 4506-T @ random

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover 4506-T @ random

Why would they do this to somebody has been good to them for 2 years? 

Perhaps others can pitch in but form what I understand if a lender requests a 4506-T on an already established account it means they don't believe you, your risky in their eyes, and looking for reasons to close your account. If a lender does request one your better off closing the account and moving on and the chances of it being closed are very likely. If not your in for a serious fight.

Not sure why they bother with them in a first and place and not just close the account for busines reasons. it seems that's what they want anyways.  

However i'm still new to credit... 

Message 31 of 50
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps others can pitch in but form what I understand if a lender requests a 4506-T on an already established account it means they don't believe you, your risky in their eyes, and looking for reasons to close your account. If a lender does request one your better off closing the account and moving on and the chances of it being closed are very likely. If not your in for a serious fight.

Not sure why they bother with them in a first and place and not just close the account for busines reasons. it seems that's what they want anyways.  

There's a variety of things to consider why some of these requests are generated.

The blue bolded statement is really subjective.   These types of [4506-T] requests are typically system-driven based on any number of factors.  This isn't Peggy from Discover using it as punishment or not believing the information an accountholder provided.  This is about mitigating risk on an unsecured [credit card] loan and verifying income. 

An item to keep in mind, these requests while infrequent, can be triggered by any number of factors such as discrepancies of reported income versus known income sources, rampant or increased unsecured exposure, unusual transactions or abnormal spend patterns, etc.  Other factors can include, prolonged debt conditions, incremental debt versus reported income combined with things like score deterioration and so on.

Typically, if the accountholder has no objection to submitting the request then it just goes through its paces and life goes on.   Optionally, the accountholder can object to the request, but then the account may be subject to either a CLD or closure. 

Message 32 of 50
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There's a variety of things to consider why some of these requests are generated.

The blue bolded statement is really subjective.   These types of [4506-T] requests are typically system-driven based on any number of factors.  This isn't Peggy from Discover using it as punishment or not believing the information an accountholder provided.  This is about mitigating risk on an unsecured [credit card] loan and verifying income. 

An item to keep in mind, these requests while infrequent, can be triggered by any number of factors such as discrepancies of reported income versus known income sources, rampant or increased unsecured exposure, unusual transactions or abnormal spend patterns, etc.  Other factors can include, prolonged debt conditions, incremental debt versus reported income combined with things like score deterioration and so on.

Typically, if the accountholder has no objection to submitting the request then it just goes through its paces and life goes on.   Optionally, the accountholder can object to the request, but then the account may be subject to either a CLD or closure. 

This.     Plus, I would guess that a substantial number of defaulters do have some reasonable payment history and so have been good  customers for a long time.     Then, stuff happens, e.g. job loss.    Then some obvious things might happen, such as growing balances and missed payments, but issuers may also be looking for more subtle patterns as well.   In any case, then the issuer gets into protection mode, and can CLD,  close or request a 4506-T.    In some sense, this last is the least aggressive form of AA, as the customer has a chance to prove that all is fine and escape unscathed.   Or, as FinStar says, can reject the request and be subject to other forms of AA

Message 33 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This.     Plus, I would guess that a substantial number of defaulters do have some reasonable payment history and so have been good  customers for a long time.     Then, stuff happens, e.g. job loss.    Then some obvious things might happen, such as growing balances and missed payments, but issuers may also be looking for more subtle patterns as well.   In any case, then the issuer gets into protection mode, and can CLD,  close or request a 4506-T.    In some sense, this last is the least aggressive form of AA, as the customer has a chance to prove that all is fine and escape unscathed.   Or, as FinStar says, can reject the request and be subject to other forms of AA

This makes sense being the least agressive AA. I would figure in the case of missing payments and defaulting the account will be closed instead of 4506-T. Too many variables I suppose to be subjective here. 

I guess a 4506-T could and probably should happen if you say you make 50k year and then suddenly say your income is 150k.

Some recent threads here of Discover requesting a 4506-T on a secured card? That seems way overboard since alot of risk is already mitigated. What is the point of a secured card at that point if they going to such lengths to verify income? You already put down a deposit that's your credit limit. 

In the light of everything they seem uncommon. 

Thanks for the input Smiley Happy 

Message 34 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have another one. @Anonymous just had his Discover approval revoked for refusing to comply with a 4506-T request for a new account. 

Looks like Disco is cracking down. 

Message 35 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I don't see the problem with complying. Might be a tad inconvientent, but if you want the card you gotta play their game.

Message 36 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally I don't see the problem with complying. Might be a tad inconvientent, but if you want the card you gotta play their game.

You're not just giving it to them, it tends to go through a third party. In this case, it's Equifax. Equifax has enough info. They already can't secure what they have. 

Message 37 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

True. But the already have more crucial info than income, so 'm not really concerned if someone knows what I make annually. 

Seems to me they should go directly to Uncle Sam for tax info though. What's with everyone needing middle men for everything? 

Message 38 of 50
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Next thing you know they will be requesting it for CLIs, good thing I never get oneSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 39 of 50
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

True. But the already have more crucial info than income, so 'm not really concerned if someone knows what I make annually. 

Seems to me they should go directly to Uncle Sam for tax info though. What's with everyone needing middle men for everything? 

Maybe I’m not following the intended description, but a 4506-T is an authorization, which allows the holder to go to the IRS to get the tax transcript. 

In the case of AMEX the tales seem to indicate AMEX Centurion Bank handles that request and puts the info into the AMEX database, not one of the credit bureaus. 

I dont know if that has been stated about Discover, clarifying who is receiving the 4506-T transcript data.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 40 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.