Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 5% Category

tag
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Discover 5% Category

Hello all...do you think buying tools at Sears or Harbor Freight qualifies for the 5% home improvement category or does it have to be stores like Lowe's, Ace or Home Depot? I just bought a bunch of tools, so I hope so...lol!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Category

Pretty sure Sears is considered a department store. Had you ordered the tools online, I think Sears is a ShopDiscover partner.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 2 of 8
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

What about plant nurseries?  Would they qualify for the 5% category?

Message 3 of 8
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@fittiger wrote:

Plant nurseries almost certainly do.

Home improvement doesn't have to be Home Depot or Lowes. Anything coded as a hardware store, paint store, or garden store also qualifies.

The fine print on the 5% category will tell you what codings qualify. Then you can check the codings of the businesses you're considering shopping at online:

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/usa/supplier/

Message 4 of 8
fltn
Frequent Contributor

Anyone know how furniture stores are coded? I wonder if I could pay off an account I have at Badcock with my discover and get the 5%.

My payments always show as a purchase, and I was going to pay it off, so I figured why not pay it off with Discover and when it posts prior to statement, then just pay off Discover and get the bonus.

I own $1500 on furniture and that would cover the Discover promo.

Thanks for any info.

Currently "freezing" in the garden!
Message 5 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@fittiger wrote:

Home improvement doesn't have to be Home Depot or Lowes. Anything coded as a hardware store, paint store, or garden store also qualifies.

The fine print on the 5% category will tell you what codings qualify. Then you can check the codings of the businesses you're considering shopping at online:

+1

Message 6 of 8
tatterz
New Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@fittiger wrote:

considering that Amex doesn't use the same classifications as Visa, would Discover go by MCC codes? Lol, you love that site xD It is very nifty.

TU: 730 (Lender Pull) ; EQ: 738 (MyFico)
Barclay's Sallie Mae 5% Mastercard $1k(4/2013)- My main beach
Chase Freedom $3k (3/2013) - My side beach
Amex BCE $6k (3/2013) - When I feel like a boss
Crapital One Platinum $750 (2/2010) - When I feel like a n00b
Message 7 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

@tatterz wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@fittiger wrote:

considering that Amex doesn't use the same classifications as Visa, would Discover go by MCC codes? Lol, you love that site xD It is very nifty.

Are you sure about that? To my knowledge Amex uses the merchant codes used by IRS Revenue Procedure 2004-43 to classify businesses by specific market segments.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.