Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 5% Oct-Dec / Be Careful

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Discover 5% Oct-Dec / Be Careful

Discover is giving 5% back from Oct through Dec for online purchases. I checked with Discover to see if that 5% would be given for online purchases at the big box stores like WalMart...because those purchases don't even earn the 1% any other time.

Answer: No

Those online purchases will still only earn the 0.25%. They will NOT earn 5%.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Oct-Dec / Be Careful

@Jazzzy wrote:

Discover is giving 5% back from Oct through Dec for online purchases. I checked with Discover to see if that 5% would be given for online purchases at the big box stores like WalMart...because those purchases don't even earn the 1% any other time.

Answer: No

Those online purchases will still only earn the 0.25%. They will NOT earn 5%.

That sucks. This is almost a wasted category quarter.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 16
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

That sucks. This is almost a wasted category quarter.

You're right. I get frustrated at what I consider to be misleading advertising from Discover. This is just one more example.

Message 3 of 16
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

I signed up for it this morning. Just curious, when did enrollment start?
Message 4 of 16
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't take the word of one Discover rep. I would think any transactions coded as online will count for the 5% bonus.
Message 5 of 16
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:
I signed up for it this morning. Just curious, when did enrollment start?

I'm not sure....seems I usually sign up during the month before the quarter starts.

Message 6 of 16
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:
I wouldn't take the word of one Discover rep. I would think any transactions coded as online will count for the 5% bonus.

You may want to call Discover. Let us know what the rep tells you.

Right now I have no reason to disbelieve the rep.

Message 7 of 16
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

You can earn 5% cashback when you shop at walmart online through Discover's "ShopDiscover" anytime you want!

Message 8 of 16
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

I'm wondering if this 5% promo is in addition to what you get from ShopDiscover.
Message 9 of 16
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@asteroidblues86 wrote:

You can earn 5% cashback when you shop at walmart online through Discover's "ShopDiscover" anytime you want!

@I don't think I've ever shopped online @ WalMart...but I sure wish they gave the 1% cashback on local purchases. We're in a small town, and I would guess the local WalMart to be about 80% of our local spending.

I probably still wouldn't use my Discover there, however, because I have no interest in spending....what is it now....$3,000? per year...before you start to earn the 1% on anything.

Why not start earning rewards from the very beginning? None of my other cards makes me spend $3k before they start paying me 1%.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.