Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 5% Tracker?

tag
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Discover 5% Tracker?

Can someone please explain to me the 5% cash back tracker for Discover? My statement cut about 2 days ago, but it has been showing the same number on the tracker for nearly a week. I never max out the 5% categories, but I think I have hit the cap this quarter. Now that I have other cards giving more than 1%, I don't need to do grocery spending on here once I hit the cap. Grocery is my biggest spend category, so anything I am doing at 1% is money left on the table. I am just not sure how accurate the tracker is or what date the data is from. Any advice you can provide would be amazing!

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 3.01.40 AM.png

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Tracker?

It takes several days after most recent charges for the tracker to update, and some times even if a transaction posts, the tracker doesn’t update until around midday the next day. Basically I look at the tracker after lunch at work most days. It almost never updates at night. I still end up with some random 1% credited charges as well at places I would consider grocery stores, but it all depends on how the store codes. In your case, you’ve spent over $1300 in 1% spend. IDK if you are in your first year or not, but if not, I’d divert that spend to your Alliant card or something else, because you potentially are leaving $13 on the table. If you are still in cashback match, thats different.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 2 of 3
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Re: Discover 5% Tracker?

@JNA1 wrote:
It takes several days after most recent charges for the tracker to update, and some times even if a transaction posts, the tracker doesn’t update until around midday the next day. Basically I look at the tracker after lunch at work most days. It almost never updates at night. I still end up with some random 1% credited charges as well at places I would consider grocery stores, but it all depends on how the store codes. In your case, you’ve spent over $1300 in 1% spend. IDK if you are in your first year or not, but if not, I’d divert that spend to your Alliant card or something else, because you potentially are leaving $13 on the table. If you are still in cashback match, thats different.

Thanks for your response, JNA1!

I think this number is accurate. I looked through my January and February statements and added up the 5% cash back from both months and came up with a figure within about a dollar of what the tracker says. I made a charge that just posted for groceries, so I'll wait and see if the tracker updates.

I will give Discover props for giving us a tracker and making an effort to keep us apprised of the status of the rewards.

I only recently acquired the Alliant and PayPal cards for 2%, so I won't be using Discover as my daily driver anymore for my non category spend.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.