cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 5% groceries include state-run liquor store?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover 5% groceries include state-run liquor store?

Does anyone know if the Discover 5% cash back for, "groceries," category include state-run liquor stores (ie, Utah, Idaho, Washington)?

My guess would be no, but wondering if anyone has specific experience with this.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
rbentley
Established Contributor

Re: Discover 5% groceries include state-run liquor store?

The answer for Utah is a big "No".

Message 2 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Wow, I've never heard of "state-run liquor stores", but I'm sure they don't codes as groceries. Fortunately they sell liquor, beer & wine in grocery stores here in Arizona, so when Discover's 5% cash back is for groceries that's when I replenish the wine cellar and liquor cabinet. I even buy some food as well . .

Message 3 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

WA no longer has state run liquor stores, but when it did, it did not code as a grocery.
Message 4 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@daveinAZ
Liquor stores are state-run in VA too and the reason I like it because unlike DC and MD, they’re not on every other block and not open 24/7/365 🤣. I know, I’m such a blah blah blah

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 10
calyx
Super Contributor

State run stores in NC (ABC) do not code as grocery, either.

MD is weird with its county run stores (though Montgomery Co liquor stores still outclass, in both prices and selection, NC's ABC stores - but at least we get wine in our grocery stores, haha).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It really depends on the way their "Card Processor" codes theirself. If they are coded as a grocery store then you get the 5% if its coded as something else then no.

Message 7 of 10
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Wow, I've never heard of "state-run liquor stores", . . .

Some state laws only allow liquor to be sold at state run outlets. In some of those states they are known as "ABC (alcoholic beverage commission) Stores". If you travel the country much you will find all sorts of different laws regarding alcohol sales. Some states allow liquor sales in grocery stores, some don't. Until this year, most grocery stores in Colorado could only sell 3.2% beer. Each chain could designate one store that could sell liquor and real beer, the rest of the locations couldn't. Until last year Pennsylvania only allow beer by the case to be sold at beer stores that didn't sell in any smaller quantities. There are still blue laws that limit sales on Sundays in some places.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 8 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@FlaDude wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Wow, I've never heard of "state-run liquor stores", . . .

Some state laws only allow liquor to be sold at state run outlets. In some of those states they are known as "ABC (alcoholic beverage commission) Stores". If you travel the country much you will find all sorts of different laws regarding alcohol sales. Some states allow liquor sales in grocery stores, some don't. Until this year, most grocery stores in Colorado could only sell 3.2% beer. Each chain could designate one store that could sell liquor and real beer, the rest of the locations couldn't. Until last year Pennsylvania only allow beer by the case to be sold at beer stores that didn't sell in any smaller quantities. There are still blue laws that limit sales on Sundays in some places.

Interesting, I guess I need to get out more often . . . .

I've lived in Nevada & Arizona the last 20 years and both allow liquor, beer & wine sales in grocery stores, even convenience stores here in AZ. 3.2% beer??? They still have that? I remember that when I was 19 & 20 years old and lived in Craig, CO, when 18-20 years old all you could buy was 3.2%, before they raised it to 21 for anything alcohol. And interesting Colorado legalized recreational marijuana in 2012, but you cold only buy 3.2% beer at grocery stores until last year. And I remember visiting my stepmother in South Carolina years ago and she sent me out to buy some booze and instructed me to look for a building with a green dot sign (or some color dot), the liquor stores couldn't have any sign that they sold alcohol other than that (color) dot sign.

What's the rational behind state/government run liquor stores? "We keep taxes low by making you buy booze at our stores for whatever price we choose to set"?

Message 9 of 10
FlaDude
Established Contributor

I'm not really sure, but I think state run liquor stores are a throwback to the post prohibition days.

My understanding regarding CO was that stand alone liquor store owners didn't want competition from chains so they lobbied for the law that each company could only sell liquor and beer above 3.2 beer at a single location. I don't recall if wine was restricted or not.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.