Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover BT offers poofed

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover BT offers poofed

No BT offers, little use for 5% cats since I value UR's over straight cash back and 10% is over on this card.  Highest APR despite 800 scores.  I did for gigles pre-qual for new discover card and offered lowest apr, but heck no I won't be applying for any of those cards even if double cash back as would get a 5k limit if lucky lol.  I still have to wait 2 month to ask for an apr reduction from 25% ugh as still in promo period.  Why oh why do I torture myself with discover when the CL is so-so, no offers and little use for the card?  I said double cash back, but that is over so then i say BT offers possibly if needed, but no where to be seen in 7-8 months now.  Close?  Gosh knows I need to shed some credit as around 450k on personal.  Sure if I called to closed would be transferred to retentions and a BT offer would be offered is my luck, but no need for it as balance I have is on WS Visa at 0% and 0 fees for 18 months well about 14 months left now.

Message 41 of 86
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I would just SD it, as it has no AF so is not hurting anything. BT offers will come back, and it sometimes offers 5% cash back on stuff not found anywhere else, such as PayPal right now and Walmart.com next quarter.

Message 42 of 86
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

So, I'm desperately trying to find use for this card, i dont feel quite like closing it but I also have very little use for it    🤷

I could not  max a category even if it was "Breathing and Blinking" 

Does anyone know how long (or soon) after permanent APR reduction another 0% promo can be requested? 

I feel similarly about my own Discover... the categories are rather 'meh' for me, and I seem to be keeping it around only for a "just in case" BT.  Smiley Indifferent

It's said that after getting an APR reduction or 0% promo you have to wait six months before you can get another, although I don't know if that's been tested in a while.

Thank you!

I have a spending pickle atm

Cash+ works like a charm on categories that I can max out without having to get "creative"

AR (at least for right now) is making any category where Samsung Pay can be used like groceries, restaurants, department stores, online shopping (like last night Smiley LOL)  etc obsolete, so it's really making both Disco and Freedom even more redundant  

I want redo 🤷

Message 43 of 86
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

No BT offers, little use for 5% cats since I value UR's over straight cash back and 10% is over on this card.  Highest APR despite 800 scores.  I did for gigles pre-qual for new discover card and offered lowest apr, but heck no I won't be applying for any of those cards even if double cash back as would get a 5k limit if lucky lol.  I still have to wait 2 month to ask for an apr reduction from 25% ugh as still in promo period.  Why oh why do I torture myself with discover when the CL is so-so, no offers and little use for the card?  I said double cash back, but that is over so then i say BT offers possibly if needed, but no where to be seen in 7-8 months now.  Close?  Gosh knows I need to shed some credit as around 450k on personal.  Sure if I called to closed would be transferred to retentions and a BT offer would be offered is my luck, but no need for it as balance I have is on WS Visa at 0% and 0 fees for 18 months well about 14 months left now.

I have a serious case of jealous ever time WS  BT offers are mentioned. 

Message 44 of 86
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

So, I'm desperately trying to find use for this card, i dont feel quite like closing it but I also have very little use for it    🤷

Does anyone know how long (or soon) after permanent APR reduction another 0% promo can be requested? 

I feel similarly about my own Discover... the categories are rather 'meh' for me, and I seem to be keeping it around only for a "just in case" BT.  Smiley Indifferent

It's said that after getting an APR reduction or 0% promo you have to wait six months before you can get another, although I don't know if that's been tested in a while.

You know, Discover's card & CLI approvals & APRs determination is a science mystery. I first app'd for Discover in Jan or Feb 2015, instant denial. Then that summer they started sending me weekly mailers claiming pre-qualification. I didn't trust them and tossed them, but at the 4th or 5th one decided maybe they were serious and app'd again, instant approval for $4k, I don't pay attention to APRs as I don't carry a balance on a CC unless it's 0%. But I've called a couple times to see if I could get that 0% APR reductions for 12 months I see others get, and I'm always told I'm not eligible as my card has the 'lowest possible APR'. Checking my June statement it's 17.24%, I think it was 14% something when approved.

Today my CL is $15,000, the best CLI I ever got was $4500 in 2018 after taking a $9k BT on a $10,600 CL and repaying it within 2 months. And yeah, I far from max out any 5% categories, gas and groceries were the best for me but not huge spend categories for me and I don't play the gift card game, don't think it's worth the hassle & bother.

Message 45 of 86
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Yep, Comenity is one of the only major lenders I don't have anything with (Barclays is the other)... wouldn't that be just my luck? Smiley Frustrated

I'm hoping that when (if) Blispay finally transitions to Comenity they'll do something neat with it, otherwise I might eventually be tempted to get a store Visa card for a store I never shop at just for BTs... LOL.

Message 46 of 86
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

You know, Discover's card & CLI approvals & APRs determination is a science mystery. I first app'd for Discover in Jan or Feb 2015, instant denial. Then that summer they started sending me weekly mailers claiming pre-qualification. I didn't trust them and tossed them, but at the 4th or 5th one decided maybe they were serious and app'd again, instant approval for $4k, I don't pay attention to APRs as I don't carry a balance on a CC unless it's 0%. But I've called a couple times to see if I could get that 0% APR reductions for 12 months I see others get, and I'm always told I'm not eligible as my card has the 'lowest possible APR'. Checking my June statement it's 17.24%, I think it was 14% something when approved.

Today my CL is $15,000, the best CLI I ever got was $4500 in 2018 after taking a $9k BT on a $10,600 CL and repaying it within 2 months. And yeah, I far from max out any 5% categories, gas and groceries were the best for me but not huge spend categories for me and I don't play the gift card game, don't think it's worth the hassle & bother.

You're not joking... until NFCU gave me an auto-bump last year Discover was actually my most generous credit line ($21k), which is weird since I've not used the card in a way that one would expect that kind of generosity. 

I've not requested a CLI in over two years... at this point I couldn't do so with a straight face.  I've not even been interested enough in it to poke them for an APR reduction in years as well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Message 47 of 86
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Discover still a big cashback cow for me, I always max groceries and gas and put a good dent in restaurants, too. Christmas shopping quarter I don't do too well.

They did nerf the card benefits and the DiscoverDeals, which I used a lot.

Message 48 of 86
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

Discover still a big cashback cow for me, I always max groceries and gas and put a good dent in restaurants, too. Christmas shopping quarter I don't do too well.

They did nerf the card benefits and the DiscoverDeals, which I used a lot.

I didn't care about the bennies but I sure miss DiscoverDeals, really ticked me off when they nerfed that. One of my best deals was buying a TV in Feb, 2018. I was in the market for a big screen 4k TV and decided on Sony 65" for around $1100. I had a new Amex Everyday w/15 months 0%, but I didn't want MR points especially at the lower rewards rate. So I bought it through Discover Deals netting $55 in cashback and then BT'd that to Everyday and paid it off over time with no interest.

Message 49 of 86
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Yep, Comenity is one of the only major lenders I don't have anything with (Barclays is the other)... wouldn't that be just my luck? Smiley Frustrated

I'm hoping that when (if) Blispay finally transitions to Comenity they'll do something neat with it, otherwise I might eventually be tempted to get a store Visa card for a store I never shop at just for BTs... LOL.

That might be my next goal way down the road. I got the spending covered, now I need to start working on back up plans. 

Are BT offers like  this specific to particular cobranded Comenity cards?

Message 50 of 86
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.