Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLD, Merrick closed for no usage

tag
wit2bees
Contributor

Discover CLD, Merrick closed for no usage

Without warning Discover reduced the limits on both of my cards.  From $5500 to $500 (bal 0.00) and From $2500 to $1500.00  (bal 1400.00).   I called and was advised to call the Portfolio Verification department on Monday.  Nothing else has changed in my profile.  I recently got a increase on both of NFCU cards and a new card from Penfed.  Also I recevied an alert that Merrick Bank had closed my account.  I hadn't used it in a while but kept it for the age, as it was a rebuilder after my BK7. That will report as closed by creditor.   I also called and requested the Credit One be closed as well.  Not something I was using but my AA will take a hit from all of this.   Total decrease of over $10k.   Takes my utilization to about 13%.  

TU 699 EQ 741 EX 767
- total CL = ?
- AAOA = 2.5 years
- Utilization = 9%
- Inquiries = TOOOOOOO MANY
- 50 accounts:
Updated 12/ 29 / 2021
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover CLD, Merrick closed for no usage

Sorry for the CLD.  Your AAoA will not take a hit.

Message 2 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Sorry for your CLDSmiley Sad

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about your CLD. It looks as though one of your DISCOVER cards is being balance chased.

Is something going on in your credit reports? Have you checked recently? It appears it's all happening at once due to a change in your reports. If you aren't aware of anything, I'd check them out.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has the balance on the 2500 limit card been that high for awhile? 

Message 5 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@wit2bees sometimes it's possible to restore credit line with Discover, depending on a reason for balance chasing and CLD, by making a significant payment 

The balance you had on one of your cards, is it a BT or just "regular"  balance? 

Have you carried it for a while while making minimum payments only, or is that just one month worth of spend? 

Message 6 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

You stated that nothing else happened on your profile, but the new PenFed card is certainly active credit seeking and I am assuming the NFCU CLIs also resulted in a new inquiry?  Your signature states 50 accounts and too many inquiries; have you opened many others besides the PenFed in the past 3/6/12 months?  Have you been taking HPs for anything else in the past 3/6/12 months?  Do you have other cards that have high individual utilization besides the Discover?

The Merrick Bank account was closed due to inactivity rather than anything in your profile, so I wouldn't worry about that, but obviously something has spooked Discover other than the one card with 56% utilization, resulting in balance chasing.  Usually that will be caused by new negative information reporting, high utilization, aggressive credit seeking, etc.

And as for the average age of accounts, those closed accounts will continue to count until they fall off of your reports up to 10 years from now.

Message 7 of 14
wit2bees
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No not even a month.  I keep it fairly low just made some purchases.  I paid it off as soon as I saw the decrease.  If they want to chase it down they can do it without hitting my utilization.  

TU 699 EQ 741 EX 767
- total CL = ?
- AAOA = 2.5 years
- Utilization = 9%
- 50 accounts:
Updated 12/ 29 / 2021
Message 8 of 14
wit2bees
Contributor

The NFCU were increased in December after AR with a SP.  I have one other credit union card that I just did a balance transfer to so it's reporting high but I will pay it off in the next couple of months.  No other new  CC accounts in the last 6 month.  2 cards in the last 12 months but a few other inquiries.  I have closed about 12 cards this year so my profile needs to be updated.  

@K-in-Boston wrote:

You stated that nothing else happened on your profile, but the new PenFed card is certainly active credit seeking and I am assuming the NFCU CLIs also resulted in a new inquiry?  Your signature states 50 accounts and too many inquiries; have you opened many others besides the PenFed in the past 3/6/12 months?  Have you been taking HPs for anything else in the past 3/6/12 months?  Do you have other cards that have high individual utilization besides the Discover?

The Merrick Bank account was closed due to inactivity rather than anything in your profile, so I wouldn't worry about that, but obviously something has spooked Discover other than the one card with 56% utilization, resulting in balance chasing.  Usually that will be caused by new negative information reporting, high utilization, aggressive credit seeking, etc.

And as for the average age of accounts, those closed accounts will continue to count until they fall off of your reports up to 10 years from now.

TU 699 EQ 741 EX 767
- total CL = ?
- AAOA = 2.5 years
- Utilization = 9%
- 50 accounts:
Updated 12/ 29 / 2021
Message 9 of 14
wit2bees
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Discover was at about 6% utilization at the begining of the year.  It reported high for one period.  

TU 699 EQ 741 EX 767
- total CL = ?
- AAOA = 2.5 years
- Utilization = 9%
- 50 accounts:
Updated 12/ 29 / 2021
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.