Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover CLI Help

I need to get an increase on my Discover IT card, but need some advice on how to go about doing it.

I have had this card since January of 2015, and since getting it have received one CLI (current limit is $5200). I have attempted to request more using the soft pull online but I keep getting declined. They give me some odd answer about how there isn't enough reference in my credit report.

I really need this increase, as I am moving soon and Home Improvement stores are this quarter. I have opened about 3 new accounts recently.

Any advice? See sig for scores, current income $100,000. I also need it to be SOFT PULL.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover CLI Help

@Anonymous wrote:

I need to get an increase on my Discover IT card, but need some advice on how to go about doing it.

I have had this card since January of 2015, and since getting it have received one CLI (current limit is $5200). I have attempted to request more using the soft pull online but I keep getting declined. They give me some odd answer about how there isn't enough reference in my credit report.

I really need this increase, as I am moving soon and Home Improvement stores are this quarter. I have opened about 3 new accounts recently.

Any advice? See sig for scores, current income $100,000. I also need it to be SOFT PULL.

Why don't you give them a call? They are very nice to deal with and they may be able to provide a better understanding / increase your CL over the phone.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 2 of 11
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I have a full set of data on how to work with Disco here - http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-unOfficial-Data-Points/m-p/4802538

If you can't do it through the website then you will likely need to call the lending # in my thread.  If you need something beyond a SP for a CL then you have the option of telling them to do a HP to a specific amount.  If your reason for not wanting another HP is because of a pending mortgage then wait until you're close on the new mortgage.  Otherwise there's not really a reason to be gun shy on a HP as it's not that big of a deal when it comes to being able to use your card as intended.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm confused about your CLI denial reason of "not enough reference in credit report."  What does that mean?

Message 4 of 11
MB2714
Regular Contributor

That tells me that the OP has not enough credit references or experience either overall with credit accounts or insufficient credit card history showing that they are experienced handling a larger credit line.
Chapter 7 Discharge April 2015. .Transunion 662 07/2017
Equifax 652 07/2017
Experian 657 07/2017
Cap One QS $2,200; Cap One QS$2,950; Cap One PSVisa $1,100; Nordstrom Visa $3,500; Target $300; Syncb/Walmart $500; VonMaur $500; Cap1/Saks $500; Barclays MC(AU) $6,400; Buckle $250; Syncb/Car Care (AU) $2,500.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is a bogus answer.

I have over 4 years of credit history, my oldest card has a limit of $15,000, I have never been late on any payments, and I also have two loans that I pay towards.

There is plenty of reference in there lol

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If Discover isn't willing to budge, why not open a card with your preferred home improvement store? They often have deferred, no-interest payment plans for larger expenses

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

And here I was anxious to reach day 61 to see if I can request a CLI. Any luck with a call?

Message 8 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Which is a bogus answer.

I have over 4 years of credit history, my oldest card has a limit of $15,000, I have never been late on any payments, and I also have two loans that I pay towards.

There is plenty of reference in there lol

If your message is the same as the one I got once, it was "not enough experience with current credit line"... in this case, they are referring to experience with your credit line with them, not other cards on your report.

That said, I do agree it's somewhat bogus... it's really just their round-about way of saying they want to see more history.  In my case, that message went away (and I started getting really generous SP CLIs) when the last of my baddies dropped off and my scores got a nice bump.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe all reasons are bogus.  They should all just be a blanket, vague statement like:

"At this time based on your current profile we are unwilling to grant you a credit limit increase." 

Half the time the reasons they give aren't relevant and/or misguide the person receiving the reason and then they go focusing on things that don't matter.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.