Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI (New member)

tag
dzavala

Discover CLI (New member)

Hey guys

Extremely new to the forum! Like honestly hours ago. Just to let you know I'm a 19 year old college student, with what I believe to be fairly good spending habits, good credit history for one in my "situation". 

So as of now I have 4 cards:

Discover(1.75k), Chase Freedom(3k), Sears(1k), and Guitar Center(900).

I was just recently approved for a 3k card from Chase which was kind of a pat on the back for my good spending and paying habits. But, on my discover I was still only at a 1k credit limit. Today, I decided to call and to see about getting an increase; seeing as I was spending close to 600 or 700 a month on it, and that it wasn't looking to good percentage wise. After asking all sorts of questions the rep asked if I had a desired increase number, to which I had no specified number in mind therefore that's what she put down. After giving her my personal info, she asked if it was okay to give my info to an analyst to which I agreed. After speaking to the analyst he quickly gave me an increase to $1750. Just out of curiousity, is the fact that they couldn't accept me on spot going to affect my credit, and does the fact that an analyst had to look at it affect my credit? Also, are there any things I should have done better and that I should do in the future?

Thanks guys in advance!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Discover CLI (New member)

@dzavala wrote:

Hey guys

Extremely new to the forum! Like honestly hours ago. Just to let you know I'm a 19 year old college student, with what I believe to be fairly good spending habits, good credit history for one in my "situation". 

So as of now I have 4 cards:

Discover(1.75k), Chase Freedom(3k), Sears(1k), and Guitar Center(900).

I was just recently approved for a 3k card from Chase which was kind of a pat on the back for my good spending and paying habits. But, on my discover I was still only at a 1k credit limit. Today, I decided to call and to see about getting an increase; seeing as I was spending close to 600 or 700 a month on it, and that it wasn't looking to good percentage wise. After asking all sorts of questions the rep asked if I had a desired increase number, to which I had no specified number in mind therefore that's what she put down. After giving her my personal info, she asked if it was okay to give my info to an analyst to which I agreed. After speaking to the analyst he quickly gave me an increase to $1750. Just out of curiousity, is the fact that they couldn't accept me on spot going to affect my credit, and does the fact that an analyst had to look at it affect my credit? Also, are there any things I should have done better and that I should do in the future?

Thanks guys in advance!

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on building credit the right way. 

Its' standard when you call in for an CLI to speak with an analyst but next time have a number $ in mind that you want .........Just an FYI

You did good tho for your first time

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
dzavala

Thanks! 

A question too. From this point on I guess I should hold off on applying for anything else for a little while, but out of curiousity, what should my next move be? What card? What scores are needed for that card? And what should I do to get prepared to apply for that card? I'd honestly like something with a little nicer of a CL since I have nothing over 3k. But I also don't want a card with an annual fee. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you again!

Message 3 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@dzavala wrote:

Thanks! 

A question too. From this point on I guess I should hold off on applying for anything else for a little while, but out of curiousity, what should my next move be? What card? What scores are needed for that card? And what should I do to get prepared to apply for that card? I'd honestly like something with a little nicer of a CL since I have nothing over 3k. But I also don't want a card with an annual fee. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you again!

I'll need a little more info to help you with that....Smiley Wink

Tho I can see from the cards you have Amex, Barclay and Walmart if you shop there would make nice additions

How long have you had your cards dates needed?

How many INQ's in the last year?

AAoA if you know?

What other lenders are on CR's?

What are your scores now?

What is your UTL?

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Tip Smiley Wink

Won't work if your on an IPAD tho 

If you wish to respond to a message hit reply under the message 

Then hit quote 

Enter your response 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 5 of 8
dzavala

Well lets see...

Amex I've thought of, but again I guess I'd have to wait, and also, I want something with a higher credit limit but I guess I'd have to apply and see what they'd do for me.

Discover, 1 year 2 months, Sears 7 months, Guitar Center 5 months, and Chase <1 month. 

AAoA, which I believe means average age if I'm not mistaken is about 7 months

I applied for a car lease loan which I was denied for, other than that regular credit and student loan INQ's. (Not 100% certain)

I have school loans on my CR, other than that nothing else.

Last I checked my equifax fico is a 715 right now (before my chase card has been reported, or discover increase)

And over utl is <10%

Still getting fairly familiar with all the forum lingo so excuse my "noob-ness" lol.

Message 6 of 8
dzavala

@myjourney wrote:

Tip Smiley Wink

Won't work if your on an IPAD tho 

If you wish to respond to a message hit reply under the message 

Then hit quote 

Enter your response 

Okay, now I know haha

Message 7 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@dzavala wrote:

Well lets see...

Amex I've thought of, but again I guess I'd have to wait, and also, I want something with a higher credit limit but I guess I'd have to apply and see what they'd do for me.

Discover, 1 year 2 months, Sears 7 months, Guitar Center 5 months, and Chase <1 month. Ok looking good confirms no new apps

AAoA, which I believe means average age if I'm not mistaken is about 7 months Correct =Average age of accounts

I applied for a car lease loan which I was denied for, other than that regular credit and student loan INQ's. (Not 100% certain) So depending on when you app'ed for the car 3-4 INQ plus SL=student loans

I have school loans on my CR, other than that nothing else. Paid as agreed or deferred?

Last I checked my equifax fico is a 715 right now (before my chase card has been reported, or discover increase) Good score

And over utl is <10% Very good keep it that way LOL

Still getting fairly familiar with all the forum lingo so excuse my "noob-ness" lol. You're doing very well for a newbie as we call it Smiley LOL

Amex you will need over a year of CC=credit card history ....Good there because of the Discover history

Barclay do some research on the forum to see which card fits your lifestyle and spending.

Walmart you could be approved for probably now it's good for shopping and free TU fico scores

Over all you doing wonderful I suggest you wait 6 months using the cards you have and then go get all 3 

I know you don't want a AF card but in about 10-12 months I would seriously consider the CSP from Chase between that and the Freedom it is a 1-2 punch that can't be beat. 

Worth considering trust me 

Good job on the quoting LOL

And again welcome to the forum

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.