Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI Repeatedly Denied?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover CLI Repeatedly Denied?

For the past 2-3 months i have been requesting a cli & have been denied. I am 22 but i have had credit history with discover for just under 4 years now & my score is 821. My limit is currently at 11,800. I have an Amex with a higher limit & a boa with a $5000 limit. I’m just curious why discover keeps denying the request, the reason says due to lack of experience but this doesn’t make sense because i use the card regularly, even for large purchases, & always pay it. It is worth mentioning that I was recently increased by Amex & Bank of America.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover CLI Repeatedly Denied?

i had kinda the same problem, same verbage "Insufficient experience, yada, yada yada"

stack of denial letters to fill a box.

I said "screw it", went to Discover's Pre-Qualify Page, boom!

Prequalified for Discover it card. i figured what the Heck, if i get a $500 limit,

its better than more No Soup for you letters.

filled out the app,

it came back with "Call Disco", so i called, Lady asked if she could send a text to my phone,

i said sure, are you going to ask me out? lol JK

she sent text, I gave her the confirmation, She said "Approved $8200"

I was Like "YESSSS" better than more denial letters.

after I Received The Card in The Mail, Activated it,

i thought, let me just Smash The CLI Luv Button one more time on the old card.

Instant $500 CLI "@AJC Special. I took it.

Now I Get 0% for purchases & BT's,  +5% categories and Cash Back Match at the end of 1 year.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, two main points.  One, insufficient experience with limit does not refer at all to your spend.  It refers to the amount of time that you've had that limit.  Your spend could be $10/mo or $1000/mo and it won't have any bearing on your experience with that limit from a Discover standpoint.  Your spend is not the issue.  All you can do is wait longer.  Second, $11,800 is more than anyone would ever need on a rotating 5% category card.  I get it that you want a bigger limit, but realistically you can probably admit that you don't need it.  I'd suggest worrying about a CLI less.  Continue to request them as often as you'd like (I've done them as frequent as once a week for months on end) and eventually another will come once enough time has elapsed for your profile.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, I'd have loved to have had that much credit at 22! At that age I feel $20+K CL if just fine for what most people could use it on. 

Unless you own a business or travel "a lot", a person that young shouldn't need many $10+K cards.

Message 4 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
For the past 2-3 months i have been requesting a cli & have been denied. I am 22 but i have had credit history with discover for just under 4 years now & my score is 821. My limit is currently at 11,800. I have an Amex with a higher limit & a boa with a $5000 limit. I’m just curious why discover keeps denying the request, the reason says due to lack of experience but this doesn’t make sense because i use the card regularly, even for large purchases, & always pay it. It is worth mentioning that I was recently increased by Amex & Bank of America.

IMHO, mentioning that you got CLIs from BOA and AmX will just give them more ammunition to deny your CLI request since now they’ll think you’ll probably put your spend on those cards. Of course, I’m just speculating but there’s no reason to stir up a  hornets nest. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover ceo has said they are tightening down on frequent credit limit increases and large credit lines especially ones that aren’t used or under utilized.
Message 6 of 17
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

All I can say is: give it time. Disco will come around eventually. My limit started at 5.5k but it worked its way up fast. Don’t give up hope just yet. Don’t feel bad—I like having bigger limits even if I don’t need them lol.
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Discover ceo has said they are tightening down on frequent credit limit increases and large credit lines especially ones that aren’t used or under utilized.

Do you have an article link reference for that by chance?

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's my history for them, note the (2x!) 7 months of "Insufficient..." boilerplate letters before I finally get a CLI. Now I know if no CLI after 3 months to wait 7 months to save a few trees.

12/2016 approved $6,500

3/2017 $1500 CLI, $8K CL

6/2017 $500 CLI, $8.5K CL

9/2017 $500 CLI, $9K CL

12/2017 - 3/2018 "Insufficient..."

4/2018 $4500 CLI, $13.5K CL

7/2018 $4500 CLI, $18K CL

10/2018 $1000 CLI, $19K CL

1/2019-4/2019 "Insufficient..."

5/2019 $2000 CLI, $21K CL

Message 9 of 17
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

The computers over at Discover don't currently "like" your credit profile right now. It's all a preprogrammed algorithim  so no reason to worry about it.

My discover card has been open for almost 2 years now and the credit limit sits at $1800. Its by far my lowest CL and 11x lower then my highest limit. I try every month for a CLI as they are all SP's. Ive gotten 5 now. 4 $200 and 1 $800. Nothing more then peanuts though.

My fiance barely uses her card and they give her at minimum $4000 every time she pushes the button. Similar credit profile as well except she has student loan debt.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.