Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI for a CC Novice

tag
current2011
New Visitor

Discover CLI for a CC Novice

I currently have a Discover card which I opened in 2009. I started with a credit limit of $1,250 and after 2 years they automatically increased my limit to $2,300

I am looking to increase my credit utilization, so today I applied and was approved for a Bank Americard Cash Rewards Card, and received a credit limit of $1,500. I was expecting a higher limit from the BOA card, but suspect since I don't rent or own (I live with family and do not pay rent), and that was one of the questions on the application, that may affect my limit.

I am considering calling Discover today to see if they can offer me a CLI with a soft pull on my account. Should I wait a few more months before I do this? Basically, since I just applied for a card today, I am afraid of too many hits to my credit, or if Discover wouldn't like the fact that I am asking for a CLI right after I got a new card. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Discover CLI for a CC Novice

Welcome to the orum and congrats on your BoA approval. Are your cc's student or reg?
Message 2 of 9
current2011
New Visitor

Thanks! I should have specified, my cards are regular, not student cards.

Message 3 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Discover will tell you if they want to HP you.
Boa will hp you if you req a cli after approval. Theyll likely pull TU
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I'd, ask Discover or a CLI. They'll inform you if they need a Hp, BoA will most likely be a Hp on TU
Message 5 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Haha@lexie !:-P
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 9
current2011
New Visitor

A few hours ago, I also updated my account profile on Discover to update my work phone # and salary, because I wanted them to have my most current info if I end up requesting a CLI. Typically my home page has a link saying something like "Request a credit line increase". I logged in again just now and it no longer appears-- could this possibly be because I updated my account profile, or could my recent CC app with BOA cause this?

Message 8 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Not sure...you can always call and ask for the CLI.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.