Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CSR told me to

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover CSR told me to

That's odd. To me Discover has been very generous. This past January apped for the More, got approved for 5,500. A month later i apped and was approved for Chase United explorer for 6,200.

I proceeded to garden, and I was carrying a balance on my discover card at about 15-20% util to take advantage of the 0% into apr. Then out of the blue once my account hit 4 months my credit limit jumped to 7,200 so looks like they saw my United card and wanted to beat it.

So my best advice is use discover, but have some higher limit cards and make them compete for your swipe fee business. Smiley Happy

Or who knows. Discover isn't like capital one with CLIs, but they seem to be all over the place. Very stingy for some, very generous for others.

Message 11 of 17
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Disccover CSR told me to

@webhopper wrote:
Haha ya I wont close them; its my oldest account; 13 yrs young lol.

I told the CSR that it was real ironic that my oldest account had the lowest limit rofl

AP for a Target red card they will solve that problem with a nice 200 CL.  Smiley Tongue

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 12 of 17
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@jamesdwi wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

I told the CSR that it was real ironic that my oldest account had the lowest limit rofl

AP for a Target red card they will solve that problem with a nice 200 CL.  Smiley Tongue

Unfortunately my husband has forbid me to ever step foot into target...  This stems from his Marine Corp days.  He entered a Target store in California wearing his full dress blues, (he was a non commissioned officer)  The Target Store manager asked him to leave the store because they did not support the military and did not want him in the store.  He said they thought he was there to recruit but he wasn't.  He was picking up a new toothbrush

It left a very sour impression on him. Obviously I could still shop there but out of respect for him, I decided our money would never go to a store that is openly unsupportive of our troops

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 13 of 17
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Unfortunately my husband has forbid me to ever step foot into target...  This stems from his Marine Corp days.  He entered a Target store in California wearing his full dress blues, (he was a non commissioned officer)  The Target Store manager asked him to leave the store because they did not support the military and did not want him in the store.  He said they thought he was there to recruit but he wasn't.  He was picking up a new toothbrush

It left a very sour impression on him. Obviously I could still shop there but out of respect for him, I decided our money would never go to a store that is openly unsupportive of our troops

The GREAT BLUE STATE of California!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 14 of 17
FrugalRican
Blogger

I'll swap my Freedom CL with your Discover CL anyday.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 15 of 17
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

@webhopper wrote:
Call back every three months to ask for my CLI.

I told him I wanted to match my chase CL and he denied me Smiley Sad

Don't feel bad... I talked with them a while back about a CLI. I was at $2k and told them I wanted $5k. Some of my other cards are USAA WMC $25k, PenFed Cash Rewards $20k, Chase SW Visa $20k, and more that are $5k and higher. I told them I wanted the increase to pay for a cruise this year that we are going on.

Told me no, so I closed the account. She tried to convince me to keep my account open of course and I told her that I was sorry but no longer needed it.

TMI, but they made me mad, so no more swipe revenue from me!  Smiley Happy

Ray you closed your Discover More already ??

Yep - I had just had enough! I figured why bother. Of course, they are always very nice to deal with but come on already! Give me $5k and I am happy. Nope - so see ya!

I may try opening with them again down the road but not for quite a while.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 16 of 17
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I used my card a lot in the last 6 months. I had a BT offer as well as 3.9% promote rate. My spend on the card has been 12.5k ytd. By contrast my ytd spend on amex has been 21k. On chase its been about 5-6k. Id like to be able to really use it for everything but if I did I would be close to Max every month. Oh well; amex can have my swipes.

I had run $18.7k through that card in a 12 month period. Always PIF too. It was my go to card because I wanted to work it so it would grow. I gave them 15 months. One $500 CLI in that period of time.

They must have been using a SP from late last year before our debt was paid off...  Smiley Happy

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.