Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card CLI

tag
MrCredit
Established Contributor

Discover Card CLI

Can anybody give me some feedback on recommendations to get a Discover CLI? I have had my card for a year now always PIF and I still have a $1k limit. Scores are in the 650 range. I have tried but they want a full app to pull a bureau. I never see any softs on my bureaus from them. Can anybody recommend what kind of activities to perform with the card that would urge them to increase the limit.  I have never went over 50% util
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Card CLI

1. get your scores up over 720 (when i researched their card offeringssome time ago i found they routinely deny applicants in your current score range.)

they also look closely at income and DTI from what i understand.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 11
MrCredit
Established Contributor

I had a 705 EQ when i got it, some baddies came back on my file medical collections... etc. I had a CH 13 4 years ago and had to get the card via talking to a girl in recon. It turns out a little sweet talk goes a long way. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 11
MrCredit
Established Contributor

They would only be going off of the bureau when i applied, they have not pulled a soft on all three.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened my account in March and the only soft I see is on my TU for Novemeber and it was before I called the automated line for an increase.

They do like to see some use and payment history. I am sure the income and scores factor in, but my income is nothing to brag about so I do expect to hit their ceiling soon. My FICO's are all over 700. (TU is at 766)

Maybe call and ask what you can do to be eligible for an increase, so you can know for sure. The CSR's have always been helpful when I have called for anything.

Message 5 of 11
MrCredit
Established Contributor

I wonder if it matters the amount you put in for a request. I used the automated system and asked for $200. 20% of my CL. I wonder if I should call and try again and put like 100.... everytime I have done it in the past "We need more information to approve your request" and then it transfers me to a rep, I hang up before that...
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

MrCredit wrote:
I wonder if it matters the amount you put in for a request. I used the automated system and asked for $200. 20% of my CL. I wonder if I should call and try again and put like 100.... everytime I have done it in the past "We need more information to approve your request" and then it transfers me to a rep, I hang up before that...

Why do you hang up?  You can't complain about not getting a CLI if you won't even see the request procedure through to the end.

Message 7 of 11
MrCredit
Established Contributor

Because I dont want a hard pull. I was just seeing if they will allow a CLI with a soft., if you give full app they will pull a hard on EX.
Message 8 of 11
MrCredit
Established Contributor

When you get transferred to a rep=Full app
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

MrCredit wrote:
When you get transferred to a rep=Full app

That is not a hard and fast rule with Discover.  They do soft pull CLIs through reps, too.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.