Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card CLI

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Discover Card CLI

I finally got around to requesting my Discover Card CLI today. I called the regular 800-DISCOVER number and went through the call tree to the request a CLI option. I entered the requested information: 1) amount of desired increase ($2.4K), 2) HHI and 3) reason for request (other). The system counteroffered $2K and I accepted. It was that easy. The change was posted to my account immediately. (Log out and back in to view.)

Previous CL = $8.1K, New CL = $10.1K.

The point was to get my Discover Card to at least $10K and I cleared that. $10.1K is now my new highest total on an individual card! (I do have $18.2K with PenFed spread over two cards.)

Yippie!

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Discover Card CLI

soft inquiry?
Message 2 of 52
Established Contributor

Congratulations CWCID!

It does feel great to push your revolving TL CLs into the 5 figure range...and a Discover CC is an excellent one to do it with.Smiley Happy

Message Edited by plasticman on 08-26-2009 08:15 AM
Message 3 of 52
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:
soft inquiry?

Most likely none. I believe if you have the option available on the phone and it offers you an amount it has been pre-reviewed by via a soft. (I was softed in Jul/Aug and just passed my one year anniversary.) If the system cannot offer you an increase or you want a higher one than offered it will transfer you to an agent at which point they may or may not pull reports based on your request.

I have been led to believe that not everyone has the option available all the time, but immediately after accepting the increase I still do.

(I have not been harded for any of the following completed during JUN/JUL/AUG 2009: CLI: BofA, Citi, Discover; Pre-App offer accepted as second card: PenFed; Invitation accepted as new TL: Macy's Visa. My hard INQ counts are rapidly declining: TU: 1, EX: 3, EQ: 1 - only 1 on EX is in the last year, TU goes to 0 in Dec.)

Message 4 of 52
Established Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@DI wrote:
soft inquiry?

Most likely none. I believe if you have the option available on the phone and it offers you an amount it has been pre-reviewed by via a soft. (I was softed in Jul/Aug and just passed my one year anniversary.) If the system cannot offer you an increase or you want a higher one than offered it will transfer you to an agent at which point they may or may not pull reports based on your request.

I have been led to believe that not everyone has the option available all the time, but immediately after accepting the increase I still do.

(I have not been harded for any of the following completed during JUN/JUL/AUG 2009: CLI: BofA, Citi, Discover; Pre-App offer accepted as second card: PenFed; Invitation accepted as new TL: Macy's Visa. My hard INQ counts are rapidly declining: TU: 1, EX: 3, EQ: 1 - only 1 on EX is in the last year, TU goes to 0 in Dec.)

That's nice!

Just curious, are you planning to garden for a time once they all go to zero or do you have designs to app. for another CC in particular?

Message 5 of 52
DI
Super Contributor

With that said, I'm about to call to see if I have that option. I opened the account July 09.
Message 6 of 52
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@plasticman wrote:

Congratulations CWCID!

It does feel great to push your revolving TL CLs into the 5 figure range...and a Discover CC is an excellent one to do it with.Smiley Happy

It does! I believe as you do that higher CL's beget higher CL's so pushing a second into five figures bodes well.

Next goal is to push one over $15K - maybe PenFed will make me another nice offer next year if I continue to be a good boy. The other goal would be to try to pick up the stragglers to at least $5K. There are a few, but I am not very tempted to push hard on them - that's where all my age is. One is that Direct Merchants Bank MC and another is my Providian -> WaMu -> Chase MC and I doubt that either one is going anywhere anytime soon! Macy's store and Macy's Visa, now there's some hope!

Message 7 of 52
DI
Super Contributor

I don't have the option to request a CLI yet. 
Message 8 of 52
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@plasticman wrote:

@DI wrote:
soft inquiry?

That's nice!

Just curious, are you planning to garden for a time once they all go to zero or do you have designs to app. for another CC in particular?

I am in a weird gardening phase right now. I have added two new TL's on zero INQ's plus all those CLI's but have not app'ed anything since Citi in December (on a pre-app offer). I am not in any hurry to app for anything else - I am somewhat interested in Alliant, PSECU and USBank. Another large CU would probably be a good idea - particularly one you can join and then sit and wait for a pre-app offer. I think both Alliant and PSECU do that. I also think that I would be approved by USBank. Thing is I don't really need anything - so why not let my AAoA build? Every month I lay off is a plus!

Message 9 of 52
Established Contributor

@plasticman wrote:

Congratulations CWCID!

It does! I believe as you do that higher CL's beget higher CL's so pushing a second into five figures bodes well.

Next goal is to push one over $15K - maybe PenFed will make me another nice offer next year if I continue to be a good boy. The other goal would be to try to pick up the stragglers to at least $5K. There are a few, but I am not very tempted to push hard on them - that's where all my age is. One is that Direct Merchants Bank MC and another is my Providian -> WaMu -> Chase MC and I doubt that either one is going anywhere anytime soon! Macy's store and Macy's Visa, now there's some hope!

As we have discussed in a previous thread the Direct Merchants MC is not only a dead end but a terrible CC company to deal with and will probably only be good for your AAOA long term. IMO, once things settle down the Chase CC will be your best option to try and improve...ultimately it will probably end up as a decent card. Moreover, the Chase CC is considered a major bankcard whereas the Direct Merchants is not.

Good Luck!

Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.