Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card CLI

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Card CLI

@DI wrote:
I don't have the option to request a CLI yet. 

It's way too soon. I would wait until your intro offer is done and see what they do with your APR. It will give you a good indication as to what they think of you. Mine is currently 2% lower than the lowest rate offered a new account and 2% lower than my rate at original approval. If they do something like that it is a good indication that they like you. For some reason I also think the largest CL they are giving with the automated system is $2K. I don't think I have seen anything larger than that posted here.
Message 11 of 52
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

For some reason I also think the largest CL they are giving with the automated system is $2K. I don't think I have seen anything larger than that posted here.

I received a $2.4k increase ~6 weeks or so ago via the automated system ($9.6k to $12k). Not sure if I could have received more as I asked for $2.4k.

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 12 of 52
DI
Super Contributor

@DI wrote:
I don't have the option to request a CLI yet. 

It's way too soon. I would wait until your intro offer is done and see what they do with your APR. It will give you a good indication as to what they think of you. Mine is currently 2% lower than the lowest rate offered a new account and 2% lower than my rate at original approval. If they do something like that it is a good indication that they like you. For some reason I also think the largest CL they are giving with the automated system is $2K. I don't think I have seen anything larger than that posted here.

My current limit is $2500.  Good point about the waiting until the teaser rate end.  Thanks!

Message 13 of 52
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@plasticman wrote:

@plasticman wrote:

Congratulations CWCID!

It does feel great to push your revolving TL CLs into the 5 figure range...and a Discover CC is an excellent one to do it with.Smiley Happy

It does! I believe as you do that higher CL's beget higher CL's so pushing a second into five figures bodes well.

Next goal is to push one over $15K - maybe PenFed will make me another nice offer next year if I continue to be a good boy. The other goal would be to try to pick up the stragglers to at least $5K. There are a few, but I am not very tempted to push hard on them - that's where all my age is. One is that Direct Merchants Bank MC and another is my Providian -> WaMu -> Chase MC and I doubt that either one is going anywhere anytime soon! Macy's store and Macy's Visa, now there's some hope!

As we have discussed in a previous thread the Direct Merchants MC is not only a dead end but a terrible CC company to deal with and will probably only be good for your AAOA long term. IMO, once things settle down the Chase CC will be your best option to try and improve...ultimately it will probably end up as a decent card. Moreover, the Chase CC is considered a major bankcard whereas the Direct Merchants is not.

Good Luck!

Well I just PIF'ed Direct Merchants and I will be calling them on Friday after it has posted and the account is zero balance to see what's going on with my APR promo. Current promo is 6.9%F and if they give me something else like that I will be quite satisfied. I won't ask them for a CLI though, why waste my breath. If they want me to have one they will give it too me just like they gave me the last two measly scraps. ($500 per.)
Message 14 of 52
Established Contributor

I am in a weird gardening phase right now. I have added two new TL's on zero INQ's plus all those CLI's but have not app'ed anything since Citi in December (on a pre-app offer). I am not in any hurry to app for anything else - I am somewhat interested in Alliant, PSECU and USBank. Another large CU would probably be a good idea - particularly one you can join and then sit and wait for a pre-app offer. I think both Alliant and PSECU do that. I also think that I would be approved by USBank. Thing is I don't really need anything - so why not let my AAoA build? Every month I lay off is a plus!

Agreed...good plan IMO.

I suppose If it were my choice I would go with US Bank when you are ready. I have a US Bank CC and enjoy the $1500 soft pull CL increases every six months...it is like getting a new CC a regular intervals. They have superior customer service as well and are a major bankcard that is, in fact , one of the most stable...I have not seen one thread regarding an AA with them like we have read about other major CC companys lately. The CU's are nice also...just a personal preference decision IMO.

Message Edited by plasticman on 08-26-2009 09:06 AM
Message 15 of 52
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@cobaltnv wrote:

For some reason I also think the largest CL they are giving with the automated system is $2K. I don't think I have seen anything larger than that posted here.

I received a $2.4k increase ~6 weeks or so ago via the automated system ($9.6k to $12k). Not sure if I could have received more as I asked for $2.4k.

Good info! (Do you still have the option?)

$2.4K was 25% and probably a good amout to ask for. I asked for about 30% and got 25%. I just don't see them blowing out anything huge through that automated system. It's an easy way to get a moderate, no hassle CLI.

Message 16 of 52
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@plasticman wrote:

I am in a weird gardening phase right now. I have added two new TL's on zero INQ's plus all those CLI's but have not app'ed anything since Citi in December (on a pre-app offer). I am not in any hurry to app for anything else - I am somewhat interested in Alliant, PSECU and USBank. Another large CU would probably be a good idea - particularly one you can join and then sit and wait for a pre-app offer. I think both Alliant and PSECU do that. I also think that I would be approved by USBank. Thing is I don't really need anything - so why not let my AAoA build? Every month I lay off is a plus!

Agreed...good plan IMO.

I suppose I it were my choice I would go with US Bank when you are ready. I have a US Bank CC and enjoy the $1500 soft pull CL increases every six months...it is like getting a new CC a regular intervals. They have superior customer service as well and are a major bankcard that is,in fact, one of the most stable...I have not seen one thread regarding an AA with them like we have read about other major CC companys lately. The CU's are nice also...just a personal preference decision IMO.

Next active app will be to get a 0% BT offer back on the table. My last one is about to expire! Did you cold app USBank or did you have a pre-app?

Message 17 of 52
Established Contributor

I was sent a pre approved offer when I applied and US Bank hard pulled EX ( I live in AZ ). Thye do soft pull all my CBRs regularly (never all at once but the do mix the soft pulls up).
Message 18 of 52
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

@cobaltnv wrote:

Good info! (Do you still have the option?)

$2.4K was 25% and probably a good amout to ask for. I asked for about 30% and got 25%. I just don't see them blowing out anything huge through that automated system. It's an easy way to get a moderate, no hassle CLI. 

I do not have the online option any longer. I have not called them in a while so I am not sure if the phone option is there. Like you I was most interested in getting my discover card above $10k (all my major ccc are now over $10k). I also wanted ot get some of the credit limit back from a BofA CLD last spring (~$23 k down to $12.5 k--brought back up to $16k upon recon).

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 19 of 52
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Congrats, CWCID! And Discover is hardly known for easy CLI's.

I'd agree that US Bank would be a good option for you, if you can get them where you live. (Can't remember if that was the one that so puzzled you.) They soft me about once a quarter, under the guise of Elan Financial Services.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.