Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Card Question

Discover Card just gave me an official Approval, after I uploaded all requested documents.

$2,000 SL.

How long until I can receive a CLI? AND is that from TODAY'S DATE? (Today is when I applied, uploaded, spoke to them, and received the full approval).

Just your GUESS -- if I flawlessly use it, and keep my credit where it stands or better (750 scores, no baddies, 4 accounts, all are 6 months old as of now)... What might I expect my first CLI to be? Maybe increase to $7,500?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Card Question

With Discover there are no set "rules" for CLI that anyone has figured out. 

For example I didn't get a CLI on my first Discover card until it was 8 months old and it was a auto CLI, my first requested CLI didn't happen until the card was over a year old. On my second card with them I got my first requested CLI when it was 3 months old. Bear in mind that my profile is really different than yours as I have accounts that are 20+ years old. So YMMV.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears Thank you! Does a button appear or a heart, etc. when I'm eligible?

Are they SP CLI?

You have OPEN accounts that are 20+ YEARS old?! If so, that's awesome!!!

Message 3 of 7
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

With all that has changed in the past 7 months it's a guess as to when a good time would be to ask for a CLI. In the past you could ask whenever you wanted with Discover. They are the type that'll hand you a little, a lot, or nothing at all.

This pattern can continue for short or very long periods of time. I would suggest that you get some history and payments behind you and then maybe give it a try.

Congrats on your approval!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat Thank you. I think I'll wait at LEAST 3 months, maybe 6... Lol

Message 5 of 7
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Loquat Thank you. I think I'll wait at LEAST 3 months, maybe 6... Lol

@Anonymous There ya go.  With some time, history, and good payments you may be able to get your card to really climb.  Congrats again!

Message 6 of 7
TSlop
Valued Contributor

My Dad opened his card earlier this year and called for a CLI and they said you can't get one in the first year. I opened mine last August, and got a CLI this February (less than a year), but I was then locked out until a year (September). It appears that the pandemic may have changed their attitude towards CLIs. Basically, YMMV, and since it is a SP, it won't hurt to keep asking.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.