Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card....Why NOW!

tag
Equinox
New Contributor

Re: Discover Card....Why NOW!

My boss has the Discover More card and he really loves it. I don't own it and I love it. It's one card that i would've applied for if they took Discover in more locations.
Message 21 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I'm not sure I want to do anything that will change my current status with any of my accounts I have been lucky not to have any CLD's and don't want to prompt anything negative. So applying is a serious decision for me. No inq's for over a year.
Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard others make the statement about it not being accepted at a lot of location. I have never had a problem using it anywhere, may i'm just luck.

Message 23 of 38
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

I would say go for it!

If you got the pre-app and you are in the 700's with no recent inquiries you should be a shoo-in.

They are very consistent on the cutoff and payment due date. The only quirk is that you can only pay every 3 days.

It's a great card.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 24 of 38
mphan
Contributor

I have Discover More and I love it. It's my main card now. Their cash back program is great.Smiley Very Happy
---------------
In 1900, if a father put a roof over his family's head, he was a success.
Today, it takes a roof, deck, pool, and 4-car garage. And that's just the vacation home.
---------------
Message 25 of 38
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The only places we haven't been able to use ours are little mom-and-pop type stores. Even doctors are taking it now! --still holding off on AmEx, though. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 26 of 38
rom828
Established Contributor

My More card will be a year old in April and I love it!!  I love the "shopdiscover section" of their site---have really racked up extra rewards doing my on line shopping there.

And I love the rewards.  I redeemed points at Christmas for gift cards....and $20 in rewards got me $25 on the gift card!

I think you should be fine with your scores.  They don't always give instant approval. When I apped on line from a preapproval offer, got a 7-10 daymessage, but next day  I got a call from them to confirm info on app and then was approved.

My CL is only $2K, but I'm still thrilled to have it. It's really become my go-to card!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 27 of 38
oracles
Valued Contributor

Definitely it is a good card. Good Customer Service and cash back rewards.

They also give very good Balance Transfer offers.

With your scores and no inq for last year, i would go for it.

let us know what happens if you decide to do it.

Message 28 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've heard others make the statement about it not being accepted at a lot of location. I have never had a problem using it anywhere, may i'm just luck.

I made that same statement when I first got the card and then I quickly realized that it's accepted nearly everywhere I go. Very rarely do I come across any place that does not take Discover. When I do those generally are businesses that don't take Amex either, and seem to be strictly Visa/MC merchants.
Message 29 of 38
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

The only thing holding me back from applying for the Discover More card is the low (in my opinion) maximum cash back limit. Sometimes the maximum limit is $ 20 per quarter (5% cash back on up to $ 400) while at other times the limit is $ 40 per quarter (5% cash back on up to $ 800).

Also, another feature/limitation (depending on your point of view) is that the categories for which you can earn 5% cash back change each quarter: (link)

After you've reached your $ 80 or $ 160 maximum cash back for the year, then what you do with the card ? Sockdrawer it until next year ?

For everyday purchases, the cashback rate is tiered:
(link)
* .25% if the purchase is part of your first $1,500 in total annual purchases
* .50% if the purchase is part of your second $1,500 in total annual purchases,
* 1.0% if the purchase is part of your total purchases in excess of $3,000

If a lot of your purchases are online, then I guess you might be able to make use of the "Shop Discover" rewards -- "Get 5% to 20% Cashback Bonus at over 100 retailers": (link)

(link)

When I make a purchase, do I get up to 1% Cashback Bonus in addition to the ShopDiscover offer?

Yes, unless otherwise provided in the offer.

Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 02-02-2009 03:39 PM
Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.