Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card "Invitation"???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Card "Invitation"???

I received an "Invitation to Apply" for a Discover Card in the mail today. I have been gardening and working on improving my credit scores for a while now.

I would love a Discover Card, but I'm curious... Is An Invitation to Apply the same as a Pre-Approved offer? 

Does anyone have any information on Discover Card Invitations? Any success stories with them? Anything? Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Card "Invitation"???

If it doesn't say per approved doesn't really mean anything. Best way is to check if discover soft pulled you. If they did, then it might mean something even if it doesn't say preapproved.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are more than likely just fishing and hoping you bite!!

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, I think I'll stay in the garden!

Message 4 of 14
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/chooseMyOffer/findMyOffer If you have an offer here, you probably stand a good chance.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to find any offers...

Well that saved me an unnecessary inquiry. Thank you!!! Heart

Message 6 of 14
DVH1980
Contributor

Not to ruin your gardenign efforts but I received the same offer, twice, and finally pulled the trigger. Went to the site and they did not have any offers for me. Pulled the trigger anyways and was approved. On that note, I received the same offer from Amex 3 times and was "pre approved" on their site, pulled the trigger and denied.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 7 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I received an "Invitation to Apply" for a Discover Card in the mail today. I have been gardening and working on improving my credit scores for a while now.

I would love a Discover Card, but I'm curious... Is An Invitation to Apply the same as a Pre-Approved offer? 

Does anyone have any information on Discover Card Invitations? Any success stories with them? Anything? Smiley Very Happy

YMMV but you may meet certain criteria for their card when they bought info from the bureaus so thats why the invite was sent. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into it.

Basic info. I would make sure your overall util. is low (below 15%) and no recent derogs. FICO in the 660+ range, they like to pull EQ/TU.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they soft pull, why they ask "What is your credit standing?" Can't they just find the answer in the report they pull?

Message 9 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If they soft pull, why they ask "What is your credit standing?" Can't they just find the answer in the report they pull?

I think they want to see what you think your credit standing is Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.