cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card

tag
fastfire667

Re: Discover Card

I applied for this card with 7 months of credit history and was denied. I recently applied again with 10 months of history and was approved. My utilization was at 18% on my 1K limit credit union student visa. I was also approved for a Citi Forward with a much higher limit at the same time, so I would look into that as well. Discover customer service has been amazing so far!

Message 11 of 19
supersam101
Contributor

Alright I guess I will apply next month. The only hard inquiry's on my credit report is sprint and chase. Fastfire was it a instant approval or what
Discover IT Student $3k. Bankameri better balance $3k.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 12 of 19
supersam101
Contributor

I did some research and it looks like you have to be enrolled in a university to get the discover more student. Right now I am currently in community college. My fako are eqifax 718 , experian 737 and transunion 734. What are my odds of getting a discover more card with my income and 8 months credit history.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 13 of 19
Eschaton
Regular Contributor

@cmthomas06 wrote:

on a side note, my friend just applied for the Cap1 student rewards card and got approved for a 1k limit. He had HORRIBLE credit history an income slightly higher than yours. Might be worth checking out - heres the link:  

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/journey-student-rewards-credit-card/a/?linkid=WWW_1010_CARD_TG...

That's the card I started with as well and it's treated me great. The only thing I don't like about it, is that they did 3 hard pulls, but it's a price worth paying for getting your credit started, I had no credit and I was so glad I started with an unsecured card. But I would look at your other options and feedback from the community from other issuers, I had no knowledge when I applied. 

Capital One Journey (12/2010) $750 | Chase Freedom (03/2012) $3500 | American Express Zync (03/2012) NSPL | Amazon Prime (08/2018) $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred (10/2018) $8000 | Bank of America Cash Reward 10/2018 $8000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 06/2019 $2700

Experian score: 793 (9/2018)
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PokemonMaster wrote:

I applied for my Discover More for Students card when I had about 8 months of total credit history and I had two cards at the time. I received a message after applying telling me to call the 1800 number. They asked me a few security questions and then approved me for a 3k CL.

Obviously this is not a guarantee but if you really want the card it's possible to get it with little credit history.

Same thing happened to me. Except it was a Discover More.

Message 15 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@supersam101 wrote:
I did some research and it looks like you have to be enrolled in a university to get the discover more student. Right now I am currently in community college. My fako are eqifax 718 , experian 737 and transunion 734. What are my odds of getting a discover more card with my income and 8 months credit history.

Open up the application online (you don't need to fill it out now) but look at the "Select your school" option and see if your school shows up. If not, when you want to apply just call up and apply over the phone and tell them your school wasn't on the list. I'm sure they don't require a university over a community college. I did see some community colleges on the list when I just looked. 

Message 16 of 19
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

My experience with Discover hasn't been that good. I got denied four times with them that I actually decided to stop apping with them. AMEX approved me for two cards and they're known for how difficult it is to get a card with them. I tried to recon with Discover but I had some lates on my TransUnion report that they couldn't overlook.

Current Cards:
Message 17 of 19
supersam101
Contributor

Cat SurprisedThank you guys for help. I applied for the student discover more and i was instantly approved for $1,500 boy.Cat Surprised

Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 18 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! Discover is a great card! Welcome to the discover family!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.