Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card

tag
supersam101
Contributor

Discover Card

Does anyone know how much credit history you need for a discover more card. Right now i have 8 months of credit history with a bank of america secured credit card $600 dollars limit (opened 10/11). I am a college student with about 5k income.

Discover IT Student $3k. Bankameri better balance $3k.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Card

App for Discover for Student.  Made for the limited credit history college student.  Also, remember to include any scholarships etc in income.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 19
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

i got denied by discover so many timed that they actually blocked me for a year! I would suggest applying for a Cap1 card. They are horrible with credit limits and CLI, but at least it will give you a more diverse credit file.  I carried 2 Cap1 cards for about a year before I applied for another card (Chase Freedom) and got instantly approved. Once I got more cards I just closed 1 of the Cap 1 accounts. I found that by having several cards, rather than 1, I was able to get approved for other cards easily. 

on a side note, my friend just applied for the Cap1 student rewards card and got approved for a 1k limit. He had HORRIBLE credit history an income slightly higher than yours. Might be worth checking out - heres the link:  

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/journey-student-rewards-credit-card/a/?linkid=WWW_1010_CARD_TG...

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 3 of 19
Crashem
Valued Contributor

OP, if college student with income, app for the student cards and make sure you are using the student link.  Major issuers with student cards: Discover, Citibank, Wells Fargo, and Capital One.  Feel free to go for multiple ones and please don't get in trouble with them (ie. Pay in Full every month) as bad credit is worse than no credit.

Message 4 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I got denied for the discover more card with no history, and I applied through a mail pre-approval offer. and +1 to Crashem's comment. You're allowed to use any scholarships or grants in your personal income when applying for a credit card since you don't have to pay them back. 

Message 5 of 19
supersam101
Contributor

I applied for chase freedom this month and got denied because of limited credit history. I applied for discover student card in August 2011 and it took them 3 months to send me a letter with the reason why I am denied. I was looking at getting the discover more card and reapply for chase freedom next year when I have 2 years of credit history. I only want 2-3 cards until I get my bachelors degree.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 6 of 19
Crashem
Valued Contributor

supersam, i am not sure why you are applying to cards that aren't student cards.  huge mistake in your case and just making it harder for you to get student cards.

Message 7 of 19
supersam101
Contributor

So you think it is a good idea to apply or the discover student card. Can the discover student card be convert to a discover more card when the time comes.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 8 of 19
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Supersam, very little difference between discover more and discover more for students aside from limits and credit approval process.  There is no real conversion process as essentially same card.  But you have hurt yourself with needless inquiries.  App for Discover student if you like.  Also look at the other student cards I listed earlier.  And stop apping for regular credit cards.

Message 9 of 19
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

I applied for my Discover More for Students card when I had about 8 months of total credit history and I had two cards at the time. I received a message after applying telling me to call the 1800 number. They asked me a few security questions and then approved me for a 3k CL.

Obviously this is not a guarantee but if you really want the card it's possible to get it with little credit history.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.