cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Cash Over.. anyone use this feature?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Cash Over.. anyone use this feature?

Has anyones used this feature of their Discover card? Not sure if I am understanding this correctly (so please clarify), but Discover will allow you to get cash back at the time of purchase-- like a debit card, but is not treated like a cash advance? The cash amount is tacked on to your purchase price on your statement? No fees or interest apply? Just pay your balance when your statement comes?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover Cash Over.. anyone use this feature?

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyones used this feature of their Discover card? Not sure if I am understanding this correctly (so please clarify), but Discover will allow you to get cash back at the time of purchase-- like a debit card, but is not treated like a cash advance? The cash amount is tacked on to your purchase price on your statement? No fees or interest apply? Just pay your balance when your statement comes?

you are correct, usually this works at grocery stores, allowing you to take $40 I believe. Walmart might allow $60 if I remember correctly.

you can do this on a Walmart card also

Message 2 of 29
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

That's exactly how it works. I've only used this feature at Walmart and you can get cash back in increments of $20 up tp $80 at the store I go to.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does cash over feature qualify for any type of cash back reward?

Message 4 of 29
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Does cash over feature qualify for any type of cash back reward?

I don't believe it does but don't hold me to that. Wait for others to chime in.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is interesting  ...  I've never used this future neither.   Because I taught I have to have banking acct with them to get some cash back.   If it can be count toward to the rewards program, I love to use this future.

• Get some cash back.
  • Use it to pay for the balance.  *Because I do not need/use a lot of cash.
  • No fee.
  • No interest like Cash Advance.
  • 5% Bonus Rewards

Message 6 of 29
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

I think I'll be trying this today, especially since grocery stores get 5% cash back until friday. So I'll find out for sure see if the cash received is counted toward your rewards balance.

Message 7 of 29
DI
Super Contributor

I used  it maybe 3 times.  I never have to go to the ATM machine again.  My favorite card of all times.  

Message 8 of 29
DI
Super Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:

I think I'll be trying this today, especially since grocery stores get 5% cash back until friday. So I'll find out for sure see if the cash received is counted toward your rewards balance.

Using the cashback feature with purchases doesn't earn rewards on the amount of the cash one received.  You only receive rewards from purchases. 

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

Using the cashback feature with purchases doesn't earn rewards on the amount of the cash one received.  You only receive rewards from purchases. 

Thanks for the info DI    Smiley Wink     

So, it works same as you purchase a gift card or recharge your gift card with your cc.     Ok, I think I will use this cash back future in the emergency cash need situation.    Smiley Very Happy

Thanks OP for this thread.   Smiley Wink    I learned something new.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.