Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover/Chase 5% CashBack July-Sept

tag
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover/Chase 5% CashBack July-Sept

@collinsridge wrote:

Errrrrrr! Discover and Chase are both doing 5% CB on Gas Stations July-Sept.

Nice when Chase and Discover are rotated so we can take advantage of the Gas back to back. Smiley Tongue 

Wishful thinking.

Which will you guys be using?

I don't have Chase yet, so it will have to be Discover. I wish it was 5% off gas all the time!!!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 11 of 31
john398
Senior Contributor

Chase more than Discover, because Chase payments show up right away from my checking account for Discover seems like it takes 2-3 days

Message 12 of 31
bribro
Valued Contributor

@cowboyguy wrote:
bribro,

Is there any such thing as Gas giftcards? Where can I get them from?

Looks like I haven't consumed even half of the $1,500 limit for this quarter's restaurant category. Are you guys sure restaurant gift cards are eligible for 5%? I'm thinking to get Subway giftcards as I go there a lot.

AFAIK, almost every gas station sells gift cards, just ask the attendent. For those that have a Chase Ink card you can buy gas gift cards for 5x at office supply stores year round, but they may not carry gift cards for your favorite/cheapest local gas station so Freedom 5x on gas still plays a role. Plus, you get slightly more than 5x with Freedom when linked to a JPMC checking account.

I hit my $1,500 restaurant cap on both of my Freedom cards, but if I didn't I absolutely would buy gift cards to my regular places too.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 13 of 31
john398
Senior Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@cowboyguy wrote:
bribro,

Looks like I haven't consumed even half of the $1,500 limit for this quarter's restaurant category. Are you guys sure restaurant gift cards are eligible for 5%? I'm thinking to get Subway giftcards as I go there a lot.

AFAIK, almost every gas station sells gift cards, just ask the attendent. For those that have a Chase Ink card you can buy gas gift cards for 5x at office supply stores year round, but they may not carry gift cards for your favorite/cheapest local gas station so Freedom 5x on gas still plays a role. Plus, you get slightly more than 5x with Freedom when linked to a JPMC checking account.

I hit my $1,500 restaurant cap on both of my Freedom cards, but if I didn't I absolutely would buy gift cards to my regular places too.

I wonder if someone bought $1,000 worth of gift cards all at once if that would look suspious to chase or discover

Message 14 of 31
bribro
Valued Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@cowboyguy wrote:
bribro,

I wonder if someone bought $1,000 worth of gift cards all at once if that would look suspious to chase or discover

I doubt they would care (they cap it at $1,500 for a reason), although it may trigger an automatic fraud alert depending on your usage pattern.

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 15 of 31
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Why choose? Spend 3k on gas and use both. 

Smiley Tongue

Message 16 of 31
red259
Super Contributor

I thought I read somewhere that in order for the credit card expense to be marked as gas you needed to use it at the pump and if you bought something inside the gas station store (in this case gas cards) that it would be coded as something other than gas due to the fact they sell food/magazines etc.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 17 of 31
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that in order for the credit card expense to be marked as gas you needed to use it at the pump and if you bought something inside the gas station store (in this case gas cards) that it would be coded as something other than gas due to the fact they sell food/magazines etc.

This is something I would like to know: whether incidental purchases (like snacks, coffee, etc) placed on the same receipt as the gas purchase, would be counted toward the rewards.  I already know that lottery tickets are not covered, but how about things like oil & antifreeze?

Message 18 of 31
bribro
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

It depends on the merchant code of course. For what it's worth, Safeway codes their gas gift cards bought at the gas station the same way gas at the pump is coded.

Message 19 of 31
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

I will be using Discover for gas next quarter since Chase hasn't let me become a part of the club yet.Smiley Indifferent

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.