Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Chase blacklisting

tag
knoxman
Established Member

Discover Chase blacklisting

I have finally started getting my credit back on track by obtaining and using the usual subprime cards.  I have a First Premier, Credit One and Orchard card all with tiny $300 limits.  I just got the last black mark of my credit which was a collection (CPA/Comcast) which increased my EQ Fico score substantially to 719.  I was thrilled and decided to apply for a couple prime cards.  

The only trouble was that I pretty much burned everyone out there at some point.  I have read quite a bit out CC company's that do blacklist and saw that both Chase and Discover were at the top of the list that do.  I really wanted to know my status with these two and decided to pull the trigger on both.  Discover was first.  Got the dreaded 5 -7 days message, but after reading some stuff on here I gave them a call.  A nice fellow picked up and immediately transfered me, UH OH this can't be good.  Anyway another nice lady picked up and began asking me a few questions about income and such.  Asked me to name a card that was currently reporting on my CR.  Put me on hold again, now I'm really sweating.  

She picks back up and begins with "Unfortunatly we can't approve you for the offer you applied for" .  As I am preparing to give my nicest "thank you anyway" she says "but we can approve you for a different offer".  Holy Batman!!  Anyway she does approve me for  card with a 3.99% interest rate for six months and 22.9% there after with no annual fee and all the rewards of the first card with a small $1000 limit.  I asked here if this was a Discover More card not the HSBC card I have read about on here.  She said no it's a discover more.  I nearly fell over as I have read they have an extremely long memory and just about 10 years ago I burned them pretty good with an unpaid CO.  Next up was Chase, 5 -7 day message.  

Called backdoor the next day and was told it was an initial decline but she would take a look.  After many questions and a couple holds she said I was going to go ahead and approve you but first I need a copy of your SS card and a utily bill.  I thought that maybe they saw my old account and wanted to come after me but the SOL is up so they can't sue so I went a ahead and faxed those in and will call them later next next week to see what happens.  I read a couple posts where Chase has asked others for the same info and then approved so I have my fingers crossed.  So for all those that have CO's with Discover and Chase there may be hope. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover Chase blacklisting

Dude I think you got the chase too! Congrats! Discover is great! They asked me to send in the utility bill and ss card and I was approved as well!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 12
knoxman
Established Member

Well I just off the phone with Chase.  Was put on hold then asked some questions then approved for a small $500 limit.  I probobly should have waited but I wanted to get back in the family.   So both Chase and Discover took me back after I burned them but it was over 10 years ago.  Consider me in full garden mode for at least one year. Next up is AMEX Zync as I had a Gold Card issued in '96 that was closed in good standing and I could use the backdating for an AAOA bump.

Message 3 of 12
hardworker77
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I have a CO from Discover from 1995 or 96. I loved them but I was young. I would love to get back in the family. Maybe I'll try when I get my scores to high 600's. Congras.....

Message 4 of 12
lithium78
Established Contributor

Chase wouldn't give me a card because I had a paid charge off with them ten years ago.  After hearing about how stingy they are with CLIs, though, I'm glad I won't have a business relationship with them.  Plenty of other (better) fish in the sea.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I would leave AMEX alone for at least 6 months. 2 new accounts may spook them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 12
knoxman
Established Member

I going to wait a year to app for anything else.  I am hopeful to get some auto cli love from Discover at the same time making deposits to my cap one secured card.  If I have both tradelines around 2k in a year I will apply for the Zync and ask Chase for a CLI as I don't expect anything from them without asking.  If all goes as planned I will axe all my subprime cards at that time.  I'm not sure I can wait to get rid of my FP card, from what I understand they actually charge a monthly fee in the second year.

Message 7 of 12
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@knoxman wrote:

I going to wait a year to app for anything else.  I am hopeful to get some auto cli love from Discover at the same time making deposits to my cap one secured card.  If I have both tradelines around 2k in a year I will apply for the Zync and ask Chase for a CLI as I don't expect anything from them without asking.  If all goes as planned I will axe all my subprime cards at that time.  I'm not sure I can wait to get rid of my FP card, from what I understand they actually charge a monthly fee in the second year.

They sure do. They lower the annual fee and then tack on the monthly fee which is equal to the first year's annual fee. I doubt the card is worth spending $120 a year to keep beyond the first...

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 8 of 12
readyfireaim
New Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:

Chase wouldn't give me a card because I had a paid charge off with them ten years ago.  After hearing about how stingy they are with CLIs, though, I'm glad I won't have a business relationship with them.  Plenty of other (better) fish in the sea.

I had a $773 charge-off with Chase that was first delinquent in 2003, charged off in 2004. I applied for the Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card on 5/1 and was told that I'd get a letter in the mail in 7-14 days. Instead of waiting for the letter, I called the recon phone number 888-245-0625 on 5/4 and was told that I was denied due to the previous charge-off. I asked to be reconsidered (i can give details of what I said if you'd like) and was told that I would be getting a second letter in the mail (after the initial decline letter that arrived on 5/9) that would either be a reconsideration denial letter or a welcome packet. Instead of waiting for that second letter, I called again on 5/9 and asked about the status of my recon. I was put on hold for a minute or two and was then given the great news that I was approved for $5000.

So even though they said that they wouldn't give you another card due to the old charge-off, with a bit of persistence and a solid credit report, the blacklist is not a death sentence. I don't know much about their CLI tendencies, but I love flying Southwest and their Premier card gives the equivalent of $833 in Wanna Get Away fares that never expire + $100 more each year to cover the amount you pay for the annual fee.

Starting Scores: EQ 697 (4/3/12) / TU 683 (4/3/12) / EX FICO 643 (3/16/12)
Current Scores: EX FICO 751 (7/25/12 Bellco CU) / EQ 735 (8/1/12) / TU 734 (8/1/12) /
Baddies: One 30 Day Late - Installment Loan (10/2011)
Cards:Costco AMEX $19500, Bellco Platinum Visa $10000, Discover More $9000, Chase Southwest Premier $5000, Delta Gold AMEX $2000, Merrick Bank Visa $1850, Orchard Bank Secured $500, ZYNC
Goal Score: 760+
Message 9 of 12
lithium78
Established Contributor

I think I'll refuse to do business with Chase anyway, because when they bought out Washington Mutual, they purposefully delayed posting debit card transactions on my checking account to try to trick me into overdrawing my account.  This was right after I had just moved for a new job so money was tight and it really hurt.  Now that things are better for me, I think I'll give my business to the banks that didn't try to screw me.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.