Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover/ Citi Declined (UPDATE)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover/ Citi Declined (UPDATE)

I recently (yeterday) went on an application spree...

I got the Amazon store Card - 2000 CL

The Chase Amazon Visa Card - Temp limit of 1700 (does anybody know how to find out what my actual limit is?)

I applied for Citi after these two cards - declined

I applied for Discover - Declined

I currently have:

BOA Total Rewards - 4000 CL (since oct 2007) - 0 Balance

Macy's - 100 CL (since Jan 07) - my lowest credit limit but my oldest account so dont want to get rid of it

WAMU/Chase - 1000 CL (since Nov 2007)  - Balance reported to Credit Bureaus - 735.00 (Current due 450)

AMEX Blue - 1000 CL (Since Oct 2007) - Balance reported to Credit Bureaus - 650.00 (Current due 600)

Kay Jewellers - 1700 CL (Since Dec 2007) - 0 Balance

Capital One - 750 CL (Since May 2008) - Balance reported to Credit Bureaus - 225.00 (Paid in full)

1 Auto Loan (Capital One) - 27,000 (Paid May 2009)

1 Auto Loan (Honda Financial) - 27000 (Since May 2009)

at the time of application, I had a FICO score of 706 in Equifax and 709 in Transunion.

I really do want the Citi and discover cards because I have heard great things about both of them - that will complete my credit profile very well. Oh well... Just wanted to update in case anybody wanted to know :-)

I guess I will try applying in 6 months when a few of my inquiries will fall off and after I let my 2 new accounts age Smiley Sad

UPDATE: My brother called discover on my behalf (I swear he is so much better than I am)

Got the Discover more 1000 CL

Citi - NO go... too many inquiries and recent accounts Smiley Sad was asked to try one year later...

Message Edited by Credit_repair on 08-11-2009 04:56 AM
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover/ Citi Declined

Sorry to hear it OP!

Any luck trying to wrangle a CLI from Macy's? The popular opinion around here is that they routinely give CLI's with 3 month's worth of usage. 

Here we go again...
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks FretlessMayhem...

I havent really tried getting a CLI from Macy's... Maybe I will go there this weekend... My card has been dormant since I dont shop much these days...

Any idea how I can check my Credit Limit for my Chase Amazon Visa? it says I was approved for a temporary limit of $1700.00

Message 3 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

You should find out what the specific reasons are that you were declined by Citi and Discover. I would call and speak to a credit analyst - they might recon.

You don't need to go to Macy's for that. Just call the CS number and ask if they have a "guideline increase" available for you. You should probably get something.

Message 4 of 27
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Try calling (whatever ph # was available on the website) for the actual limit on the chase/amazon...that's what I did for my chase/BP visa.  I was approved & they said it would be mailed....bla...bla.  The very next day I called & got my CL & the statement reporting day.  Couldn't get the acct # yet as the card hadn't been assigned yet!
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your comments...

I called Chase and my temporary limit is my permanent limit... not that good but it still adds to my Available credit!

I dont know what to do with Citi and Discover. I guess I am just going to let it go... if they dont want my business, I will just take it elsewhere Smiley Happy

I will try calling Macy's for a GLI...

Message 6 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I called Chase and my temporary limit is my permanent limit... not that good but it still adds to my Available credit!

I dont know what to do with Citi and Discover. I guess I am just going to let it go... if they dont want my business, I will just take it elsewhere Smiley Happy

You already took the INQ's for these app's. The reasons for your denials may be very minor and explainable. You must call them! Never waste an app!

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-27-2009 03:36 PM
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You already took the INQ's for these app's. The reasons for your denials may be very minor and explainable. You must call them! Never waste an app!

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-27-2009 03:36 PM

+1

You have nothing to lose--there is no response below "no".  You might want to have a strategy prior to calling.  Just from a cursory look at you posting, you are at 75% UTIL on Chase and 65% UTIL on Amex.  Ask the analyst if substanitally reducing those UTILs will change their mind.  Also, maybe lower those UTILs by BT with your BofA.

Message Edited by illtakecreditforthat on 07-27-2009 12:52 PM
Message 8 of 27
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I also agree. You really have nothing to lose with attempting reconsideration. You've already taken the hard inq.
Here we go again...
Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks all...

Any idea what numbers I should call? maybe the backdoor numbers?

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.