Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Closed my Account without Warning

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover Closed my Account without Warning

@GrayStar wrote:

How dare them. I've had the card since 2018 when it was secured and was graduated 9 months later. Since then, I've been using the card lightly. They sent me an email yesterday and here's their reason:

Dear GrayStar,

As a result of a recent review of the Discover it® chrome card account referenced above, we have closed your account as of the date of this letter.

This action was taken for the following reason(s):

Inactivity on your account(s)

Serious delinquency

Length of time accounts have been established

We will credit your account with your Cashback Bonus® (or Miles) balance if you have one.

What do you all think about this? All advice is appreciated. 

It's not uncommon for a credit card to be closed for inactivity. If you value a card, it's important to use it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 11 of 36
creditfan
Established Contributor

I think discover is inactivity friendly. My discover can leave unused as freeze for 6m - 12m with no problem

Message 12 of 36
GrayStar
New Contributor

I guess it doesn't make any sense to blame the pandemic since this credit fiasco occurred before it began. Well, since I have a blemished credit report, I will start the process of making some adjustments for the upcoming year then I will be back on top again. Not all is lost with Discover, I'm sure they will want me back by mailing me a pre-approved offer with better terms. We shall see. 

Message 13 of 36
GrayStar
New Contributor

That's what I'm going to do from now on to show some activity across all accounts. I'm pretty strict when it comes to utilization so I try to keep it as low as possible to give my credit score a boost. I'm trying not to worry about the AAoA since I still have my oldest credit card and it shouldn't be a problem. 

Message 14 of 36
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@GrayStar wrote:

That's what I'm going to do from now on to show some activity across all accounts. I'm pretty strict when it comes to utilization so I try to keep it as low as possible to give my credit score a boost. I'm trying not to worry about the AAoA since I still have my oldest credit card and it shouldn't be a problem. 

This closure won't have any immediate effect on your AAoA.  Closed accounts are part of that metric, so this Disco will still contribute to that part of your score for up to the next ten years.

Message 15 of 36
GrayStar
New Contributor

You right, I was very aggressive when it comes to applying for credit. Since I have the cards I want, I am slowing down from seeking additional credit. By the time all my cards age gracefully, I shouldn't have to worry about the decrease in AAoA after all closed accounts reporting falls off so I think I'm in better shape than I thought I was. I will keep monitoring my credit reports in the meantime. 

Message 16 of 36
GrayStar
New Contributor

That's what I'm going to do for now on. 

Message 17 of 36
GrayStar
New Contributor

How do I freeze an unused credit card?

Message 18 of 36
GrayStar
New Contributor

I see what you're saying now. Thanks for the advice. I'm still learning about how this credit stuff works

Message 19 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GrayStar wrote:

I see what you're saying now. Thanks for the advice. I'm still learning about how this credit stuff works

Gray,

After you click reply, you can click "Quote" so everyone knows who you are responding to.

quote.JPG

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.