cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Credit Line Increase, is it possible?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Credit Line Increase, is it possible?

i've tried twice to get Discover to give me a credit line increase...2 hard pulls and nothing as a result. anyone here have any tips on how to achieve this?

i got the card as part of a balance xfer and finished paying that off with a few months of interest. it will be a year since i got the card this coming June.

They started me with $1700 credit line and i want 5000+

any tips or experience stories with Discover recently?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Credit Line Increase, is it possible?

@Anonymous wrote:

i've tried twice to get Discover to give me a credit line increase...2 hard pulls and nothing as a result. anyone here have any tips on how to achieve this?

i got the card as part of a balance xfer and finished paying that off with a few months of interest. it will be a year since i got the card this coming June.

Have had a 2k More card for 1+ yrs, denied for CLI 3x's, however many here report easy, breezy CLI from Discover, lol, so don't give up- just don't let them pull HPs for your requests anymore, I sure wouldn't.  Even when they like you they tend to be conservative with CLIs... 1.7 to 5k could take you a few years with Discover, should probably look to another issuer if you want quick growth.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Have had a 2k More card for 1+ yrs, denied for CLI 3x's, however many here report easy, breezy CLI from Discover, lol, so don't give up- just don't let them pull HPs for your requests anymore, I sure wouldn't.  Even when they like you they tend to be conservative with CLIs... 1.7 to 5k could take you a few years with Discover, should probably look to another issuer if you want quick growth.

2k More?? what's that?

yeah no more hard pools from them. i'll wait a year and appy for a new discover. need my credit score to recover...carrying too much debt recently

Message 3 of 11
Regular Contributor

I've had Discover for 2 1/2 years and just received a credit line increase automatically.  I PIF almost all of the time (except maybe two months) and was never late.  I started with a credit line of $3100 and it was increased to $3700.  I never asked for a credit line increase because I didn't really need one.  I have higher limits on my other cards and didn't want to push the subject with them.  We all know how touchy CCC are lately.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: 7/8/10: TU - 738 EQ - 750
Previous Score: 1/22/10: TU - 703 EQ - 714
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

2k More?? what's that?

yeah no more hard pools from them. i'll wait a year and appy for a new discover. need my credit score to recover...carrying too much debt recently

Discover More 2,000.00 CL.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tianapb725 wrote:

I've had Discover for 2 1/2 years and just received a credit line increase automatically.  I PIF almost all of the time (except maybe two months) and was never late.  I started with a credit line of $3100 and it was increased to $3700.  I never asked for a credit line increase because I didn't really need one.  I have higher limits on my other cards and didn't want to push the subject with them.  We all know how touchy CCC are lately.

man that's a stingy credit line increase.

couple of months ago i called chase and said i need an increase and they said how much?

BOOM, call lasted under 5 minutes. now that's what i'm talking about.

USAA, CHASE gives me 10k

CAP ONE gives me 8500

Discover 1700???? WTF?

now i have no intentions to load them up but in order to keep utilization low you need higher credit lines.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

2k More?? what's that?

Discover More 2,000.00 CL.

oh!

Message 7 of 11
Regular Contributor

Yes it was very stingy!  But I have much higher credit limit on other cards so I wasn't to concerned with it.  Definitely a bummer though!

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: 7/8/10: TU - 738 EQ - 750
Previous Score: 1/22/10: TU - 703 EQ - 714
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
MrShush
Valued Contributor

My experience with Discover, they like heavy usage--do not SD the card.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrShush wrote:

My experience with Discover, they like heavy usage--do not SD the card.

SD?? what do you mean>?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.