Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Credit Line increase Generousity

tag
atst2000
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover Credit Line increase Generousity

Discover is one of those that no one can decipher. Like others have said they can be awesome or not. I got my first one in April 2016 with 640 EQ and got a “starter” limitnof $1400. Got it up to $3900 in two years. Then applied for another one a few months back with 700 EX and was given $6000. It’s really hit or miss but if your in the 600’s most likely you’ll get the unofficial starter limit and in most cases the starter ones don’t grow exponentially like the more prime ones do if your score is in the 700-800 range from what I’ve seen.
Message 11 of 31
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

Near the end of January this year I applied for the Disc it and got 6K SL. Every once in a while I'd apply for a CLI, when I thought of it, but everything was denied. Almost 4 months to the day after my first SL I applied and CL was raised to 9 k. I immediately called the double-dip line and got another 5K after a TU HP. IMO Discover is one of the best cards, especially in its first year. All the rewards are doubled and it has a 15 month 0% APR. They're not as stingy as Chase and much, much more liberal than Capital One. But, you have to have the numbers, low balance and low utilization to get the sizable hikes.
Message 12 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m going to be interested to see what I can get in CLIs in a few months, as my SL is higher than what seems to be considered a starter card or steps limit, at $2800, but is less than the $6000 “big kid” limits that many get. Hoping it grows with the big increases as I have only one sizeable purchase planned (new tires on my Acura MDX, which I’ll pay off in the first 6 weeks or so), and then just daily randoms with attention paid to the rewards earnings that are possible.
Message 13 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@The-Credit-Disciple wrote:

Does Discover really Give big CLI? I have been seeing limits like $10, 000 or more, I,m Like wow, Thats Fantastic. I am totally new to this credit stuff and I'm blown away. How long do you have to have your Discover before you reach the 5 digit mark? I got the Discover Chrome Card March 2018, SL was $1200, now it's at $1700, looking to go higher. Thanks in advanceSmiley Happy

I've had my Discover card for over 10 years.  I probably started out under $10,000 total limit, but as of April 2018 (my last CLI) I am at $27,000.  I do not request CLI's often, and most of them have been provided by Discover automatically. Was thinking of asking for a CLI to get up to $30,000.  

@The-Credit-Disciple

@The-Credit-Disciple
Message 14 of 31
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Here's what I've learned about Disco -

- Disco wants to be your DD or Main card, if not, atleast one that gets a decent amount of usage
- Disco likes PIF and also low balance/utilization (IMHO, data points suggest this)
- Disco CLI's really have no rhyme or reason, but for some, if they have tried to get a CLI and have not been able to, some have stopped using it for a month or two and they get auto-increases, or if they CLI, they get it.
- Disco CLI's are a hit or miss, I've gotten $500 x 2, but I started out at $13k, I did do a BT for 4k so that might be why I havn't gotten a larger CLI. I'll pay it down in the next month or 2 and see again. DPs will be provided.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 15 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started with my Discover in 2008 (just out with my MS) with a limit of $1500 and for the next few years never actually requested a CLI. Discover used to do the auto CLI every year or so and I think it was always $1500-$2000. I think I was close to $10K when I read somewhere that you should do a CLI every 6 months for cards which dont do a hard pull. Since then I do it regaulary in Jan and July and am now at $39K. I've always had been granted close to what I requested which is typically 3K-4K except for this month when they increased by only $500 even though I used it heavily (~10K), LOL. So yeah they can be unpredictable.

I always do PIF, never been late. Used to heavily use it before but now its generally for cashback categories and usage is typically $500/month.

EDIT: Flashback link here from a 2014 post Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Had my for two years started at 1600 have not gotten no increase i try a couple of time but always denied 

Message 17 of 31
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

My startling line was $9,000.

3 CLIs within 9 months totalling $8,500.

Current CL = $17,500 less than a year after opening.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 18 of 31
The-Credit-Disciple
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the feedback everyone!! Thid Forum is Awesome. Best place to be for Credit Knowledge
Message 19 of 31
xaximus
Valued Contributor

You're welcome and we are all in this credit learning course together. 

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.