Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Credit Line increase Generousity

tag
JohnnyGaddar
New Contributor

Re: Discover Credit Line increase Generousity

Yes it can go higher than that. What I would have done is wait 6 months after account opens then if there isn’t automatic increase then I would request for it.
Date 07/01/2018

Message 21 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

SL for me was $12,500 and was able to take my limit to $34,800 in 1.5 years with 7 CLIs... 1 (the first) was auto, the other 6 were manually requested.  I agree that the massive Discover data points thread is great for data on these things and I've posted in that thread a lot myself.  I've also been extremely persistent with CLI requests and went a period where I requested 1 every week for I believe 38 weeks in a row.

Message 22 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

SL for me was $12,500 and was able to take my limit to $34,800 in 1.5 years with 7 CLIs... 1 (the first) was auto, the other 6 were manually requested.  I agree that the massive Discover data points thread is great for data on these things and I've posted in that thread a lot myself.  I've also been extremely persistent with CLI requests and went a period where I requested 1 every week for I believe 38 weeks in a row.

Wow, good for you that's quite unheard of. You do want to make sure that they don't flag you for a Financial Review (FR). From what I've heard its not a very appealing prospect of someone going through ones finances.

Message 23 of 31
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, good for you that's quite unheard of. You do want to make sure that they don't flag you for a Financial Review (FR). From what I've heard its not a very appealing prospect of someone going through ones finances.

With all due respect I wish they would actually FR me and give me an appropriate CL for income Smiley Happy.. I hit it every week or every other week as I got stuck with an initial CL of 1250 on my miles card which is now up to 4250 last charge I ran through there was 4k trying to get them to budge, but nope it has been 5 months.  Where-as my other CL's are range from 10k-35k with an average of around 17k...  They are welcome to see my paychecks/w-2's or heck even my 4506-t it they gave me a reasonable cl Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a $15k+ SL and in less than two years it's more than doubled. All SP, with requests ~ every 30 days. Sometimes they can be very generous!
Message 25 of 31
The-Credit-Disciple
Frequent Contributor

When you go for a CLI with discover do you do it Manually or do you chat with a Customer service representative?
Message 26 of 31
The-Credit-Disciple
Frequent Contributor

Wow@ Brutalbodyshots. 😂😁 your funny, 1 request a week for 36 weeks is Persistent. Thanks
Message 27 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@The-Credit-DiscipleWow@ Brutalbodyshots. 😂😁 your funny, 1 request a week for 36 weeks is Persistent. Thanks

Yup, literally enough denial letters to wallpaper a small bathroom.

Message 28 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

I wouldn't say it's unheard of, but I'm definitely part of a relatively small group that's experienced better than average gains.  I always like to reference austinguy, the author of the huge Discover data points thread.  I believe his SL was $4500 and he was able to take his limit to ~$50k in around 1.5 years.  When I see that 10X gain or so, my near 3X doesn't seem as impressive.

As far as FR, I don't believe I'd really be bothered by it.  Discover could CLD me to $5k tomorrow and that limit would be more than adequate for a $500 (if that) spend per month on their 5% categories.  Having a 5-figure limit on a 5% rotating category card is complete and utter overkill, which I completely admit.  I've only pushed my limit for S&Gs just to see how high they'll let me go.  It's sort of just a game at this point and one that if they wanted to end it I'd be perfectly content in doing so.

Message 29 of 31
The-Credit-Disciple
Frequent Contributor

Discover seems to Love to give!! I guess I need to ask and receive😀
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.