Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Current Balance & Statement Balance

tag
CivalV
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Current Balance & Statement Balance

I am going to give Cap 1 a call and try to beg for an APR rate reduction. Hopefully they pull through even if its for a couple of months. I truly only need the reduction for the next 2 months lol

Any experience with requesting an APR reduction?
Message 11 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I asked once in 2017, was told apping for a new card is the only way, Cap One and APR reductions don't mix, doesn't hurt to ask though.
Message 12 of 43
CivalV
Established Contributor

Aw man 😐

I will try and also ask what date I will be eligible for an upgrade to my accounts.
Message 13 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CivalV wrote:
I am going to give Cap 1 a call and try to beg for an APR rate reduction. Hopefully they pull through even if its for a couple of months. I truly only need the reduction for the next 2 months lol

Any experience with requesting an APR reduction?

I get them every time I ask for one. 4% discount for 7 months. It’s not much but it’s something. 

Message 14 of 43
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous  : wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:
The whole pay-before-Statement-cut is overrated. Don’t fall for it month-to-month.

It’s not overrated if you are past 28.9%. I don’t even like my cards reporting over 8.9% which is my personal comfort level but <28.9% is a target everyone should have. 

Both are correct depending on ones profile, credit score, personal comfort level and looking at profit numbers.

Having auto-pay and using the float is a financial win however it come with maybe 15-25 point fico swings and if a sudden need for loan not always showing your best.  Controlling utilization is giving up some of the float, however if one sleeps better not being in debt, and knowing they have higher scores, this can be of great value. Scores mean more or less depending on how close to thresholds you fall. For some 25 points means nothing and for others a higher loan rate.  I believe this is a YMMV and depends a great deal on personal comfort choices.

@Anonymous  : I also control my utilization even knowing I would still be in the excellent scores category with the 25 point loss.  The float is not worth the score drop, or loss of comfort I gain by having my debts paid early.   

Someone has to pay the taxes that let the cards give rewards, points, and Subs.

I leave money on the table for the rest of you. !     Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 43
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If the balance is on Disco card, and there is a sudden need for a loan, they will report mid cycle when asked.
Message 16 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

@Anonymous  : wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:
The whole pay-before-Statement-cut is overrated. Don’t fall for it month-to-month.

It’s not overrated if you are past 28.9%. I don’t even like my cards reporting over 8.9% which is my personal comfort level but <28.9% is a target everyone should have. 

Both are correct depending on ones profile, credit score, personal comfort level and looking at profit numbers.

Having auto-pay and using the float is a financial win however it come with maybe 15-25 point fico swings and if a sudden need for loan not always showing your best.  Controlling utilization is giving up some of the float, however if one sleeps better not being in debt, and knowing they have higher scores, this can be of great value. Scores mean more or less depending on how close to thresholds you fall. For some 25 points means nothing and for others a higher loan rate.  I believe this is a YMMV and depends a great deal on personal comfort choices.

@Anonymous  : I also control my utilization even knowing I would still be in the excellent scores category with the 25 point loss.  The float is not worth the score drop, or loss of comfort I gain by having my debts paid early.   

Someone has to pay to taxes that let the cards give rewards, points, and Subs.

I leave money on the table for the rest of you. !     Smiley LOL

I guess for me it’s much more important to manage my utilization since my scores are not that great. If I wasn’t sitting at 9 accounts added in the last 12 months, I wouldn’t micromanage as much. 

Message 17 of 43
CivalV
Established Contributor

That is great to know! I definitely will not be in need of a loan anytime soon but great information to have for the future.

I was successful at receiving an APR reduction with Cap 1!!

Original APR 26.49
Non-Permanent APR 18.45% for 7 months!
Message 18 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CivalV wrote:
That is great to know! I definitely will not be in need of a loan anytime soon but great information to have for the future.

I was successful at receiving an APR reduction with Cap 1!!

Original APR 26.49
Non-Permanent APR 18.45% for 7 months!

😮 

Awesome reduction! They’ve never offered me anything that nice, congrats!

Message 19 of 43
CivalV
Established Contributor

Thanks!! I was not expecting any offers haha

I also asked when I would be eligible for another product change. Rep stated there is no time frame but to keep calling in or check my accont online. Many have said 6 months from the last upgrade so I will check again in February which will be 6 months from when I upgraded both accounts. Hopefully there is a CLI in the near future haha •maybe im pushing my luck there• 😂
Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.