Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Declined.

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Discover Declined.

Discover is last card I dont have in my collection and applied for it. They declined my App. They pulled TU which is at 715 and 2 inquires. Oh, well I guess I have to wait another 6 months and try again. I am not sure if Discover is very good with CL's. I think they give very low CL's like 2K or so. Am I correct?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
itsjustmeibe
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover Declined.

I got Discover last November with a TU score of ~725. They gave me $3k limit which was very low compared to my other cards. I applied for 5 cards in the same day and got these limits:

Lexus $9200

BOA $7000

Citi $3000

Wells Fargo $9000

Discover $3000.

I recently got a CLI on Discover to $6000.

Message 2 of 21
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@itsjustmeibe wrote:

I got Discover last November with a TU score of ~725. They gave me $3k limit which was very low compared to my other cards. I applied for 5 cards in the same day and got these limits:

Lexus $9200

BOA $7000

Citi $3000

Wells Fargo $9000

Discover $3000.

I recently got a CLI on Discover to $6000.

Congrats on your approvals. Some how I did not have much luck with Discover so far. I'll wait another 6 months and try again.
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

What was your average ago of account, itsjustmeibe?  Did they ask you income related questions?
Message 4 of 21
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

concorduser, when I applied to Discover they pulled TU and my score at the time was 743.  My household income was around 150K at the time.  I had 1 inquiry and was approved for a $6000CL.  Discover was somewhere in the middle with the rest of my credit cards.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just approved on Monday by Discover with a 2.5K limit. Discounting my store/gas cards, this is now my lowest CL (by $500). But I'm also a grad student with a HHI of only 15K...

A year or two ago I worked with a retail pharmacist who I'm sure had a HHI of over 120K and she was stuck with a measly 2-3K limit that would not move no matter what she did. Everything I've seen and heard says that Discover is quite conservative and it will take quite some time to grow a larger CL with them.

Message 6 of 21
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

Discover is last card I dont have in my collection and applied for it. They declined my App. They pulled TU which is at 715 and 2 inquires. Oh, well I guess I have to wait another 6 months and try again. I am not sure if Discover is very good with CL's. I think they give very low CL's like 2K or so. Am I correct?

Can't hurt to recon.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

DW has two Discover accounts, one CL is at $10K+ and the other is at $20K+. However, Discover is generally conservative and they have been reducing the number of cards issued and the associated limits in the past 6-8 months. At the moment, they are not issuing any new second cards to customers who already have one, and they are not issuing (or doing new CLIs) that will make the CL exceed either $12K or $16K (there are conflicting reports on the capped amount) ...
Message Edited by Revike on 07-15-2009 08:26 PM
Message 8 of 21
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

I acquired a Discover card in 2008 with a $14,000 cl. At that time it seemed reasonably common to see high four figure cl's. I didn't expect this kind of limit from the company but it was placed just under my lowest acct. at that time, which I believe is what they tend to do.

CI

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Been a cardholder for about 14 yrs. Started me out at 7.5k. Went to 10k and 12k over time. Was stuck on 12k yrs. Tried CLI earlier this yr and denied. Then a cpl mos later tried again and CLI to 16k. Guess it sounds like I've hit the limit. They've reduced my rate once. Refused to another time but gave me a promo rate. Then after the CLI this yr increased my rate from 9.24V to 12.99V.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.